Determining the number of hits for a web site

Thierry Lam

Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

Thanks
Thierry

Harlan Messinger

Thierry said:
Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

Such a site would require psychic energy to function.

Ed Mullen

Thierry said:
Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

It's a function (which may or may not be active) on the server hosting
the site. Also, if stats are gathered at the server it is entirely up
to the site whether or not they make (any or all of) those stats
publicly available. I can't think of any significant sites that do.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

cwdjrxyz

Thierry said:
Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

Off hand, I can't think of any major commercial sites that make hit
data available. A few hobby sites have a hit counter installed that
displays the number of total hits on their site to viewers. However,
this can count only direct hits. Many hits to a page are to a cached
version at some isp that caches pages to improve the efficiency of
their service. Thus a hit counter would miss all of these, and they may
total more than the direct hits. Also the hit counter can often be set
to start anywhere you wish, and some site hit counters seem to be
inflated as much as the egos of the site owner.

If you are interested in detailed hit data on pages on your own server,
Webalizer and other like programs installed on the server can supply
very detailed hit data including where requests are coming from, hits
by page, hits per day, month, whatever. Again this only applies to
direct hits. It is a good tool to see if your server is being
overloaded at times, which of your pages are most popular, how much
bandwidth is being used, etc. This can be especially useful if you have
a very busy site with pages that require a lot of bandwidth, such as
streaming audio and video ones. Some better hosting services that
cater to small business have Webalizer installed, and you just have to
turn it on at the control panel. If you own your own server, Webalizer
or a like program may be installed on it by you.

rchmura

Thierry said:
Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

Thanks
Thierry

My first thought was to recommend http://alexa.com
You may select "traffic rankings" as the tab on the front page to
search for "best approximations" on the traffic each site receives.
However it is widely known that the acutal numbers which alexa give in
the data can vary signifiantly from reality. This is most obvious with
lower traffic web sites.

If getting reliable website hit information is important, I'd totally
recommend GoStats.com http://monster.gostats.com <- newest version
-Of course that's just my biased opinion. ;)

John Dunlop

Thierry Lam:
Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
information?

You would need to define what you mean by 'hit' before you could
interpret any statistics. For example, does a hit mean a request that
reaches the server or does it mean a user who has actually read or
otherwise used the resource? They are two entirely different things.
To add to the confusion, you can have requests that don't reach the
origin server - e.g., requests that are served from a cache somewhere
along the line - and users who do not read or use the resource.