    information?

    Thanks
    Thierry

    Thierry Lam, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Thierry Lam wrote:
    > Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
    > taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
    > website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
    > information?

    Such a site would require psychic energy to function.

    Harlan Messinger, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Thierry Lam

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Thierry Lam wrote:
    > Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
    > taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
    > website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
    > information?

    It's a function (which may or may not be active) on the server hosting
    the site. Also, if stats are gathered at the server it is entirely up
    to the site whether or not they make (any or all of) those stats
    publicly available. I can't think of any significant sites that do.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Thierry Lam

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Thierry Lam wrote:
    > Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
    > taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
    > website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
    > information?

    Off hand, I can't think of any major commercial sites that make hit
    data available. A few hobby sites have a hit counter installed that
    displays the number of total hits on their site to viewers. However,
    this can count only direct hits. Many hits to a page are to a cached
    version at some isp that caches pages to improve the efficiency of
    their service. Thus a hit counter would miss all of these, and they may
    total more than the direct hits. Also the hit counter can often be set
    to start anywhere you wish, and some site hit counters seem to be
    inflated as much as the egos of the site owner.

    If you are interested in detailed hit data on pages on your own server,
    Webalizer and other like programs installed on the server can supply
    very detailed hit data including where requests are coming from, hits
    by page, hits per day, month, whatever. Again this only applies to
    direct hits. It is a good tool to see if your server is being
    overloaded at times, which of your pages are most popular, how much
    bandwidth is being used, etc. This can be especially useful if you have
    a very busy site with pages that require a lot of bandwidth, such as
    streaming audio and video ones. Some better hosting services that
    cater to small business have Webalizer installed, and you just have to
    turn it on at the control panel. If you own your own server, Webalizer
    or a like program may be installed on it by you.

    cwdjrxyz, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Thierry Lam

    rchmura Guest

    Thierry Lam wrote:
    > Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
    > taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
    > website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
    > information?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Thierry

    My first thought was to recommend http://alexa.com
    You may select "traffic rankings" as the tab on the front page to
    search for "best approximations" on the traffic each site receives.
    However it is widely known that the acutal numbers which alexa give in
    the data can vary signifiantly from reality. This is most obvious with
    lower traffic web sites.

    If getting reliable website hit information is important, I'd totally
    recommend GoStats.com http://monster.gostats.com <- newest version
    -Of course that's just my biased opinion. ;)

    rchmura, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Thierry Lam

    John Dunlop Guest

    Thierry Lam:

    > Is there some website out there which counts how many hits a website is
    > taking on a daily basis? For example, I want to know how many hits the
    > website wikipedia.org is getting, how would I get this kind of
    > information?

    You would need to define what you mean by 'hit' before you could
    interpret any statistics. For example, does a hit mean a request that
    reaches the server or does it mean a user who has actually read or
    otherwise used the resource? They are two entirely different things.
    To add to the confusion, you can have requests that don't reach the
    origin server - e.g., requests that are served from a cache somewhere
    along the line - and users who do not read or use the resource.

    --
    Jock

    John Dunlop, Nov 9, 2006