Determining the "real" size of a enum

Aryeh M. Friedman

If have something like the following declartion:

enum foo {One,Two,....,Ten};

How do I determine how many elements (enumerations)... in this case it is
obviously 10 but I don't want to hard code that fact

--Aryeh

Victor Bazarov

Aryeh M. Friedman said:
If have something like the following declartion:

enum foo {One,Two,....,Ten};

How do I determine how many elements (enumerations)... in this case it is
obviously 10 but I don't want to hard code that fact

There is no way. The enumerators are not members, they are not elements,
they are not objects, they don't occupy memory, so any _existing_ means
to find out sizes of different things in C++ do not work. And there is
no special enum-specific mechanism because nobody ever needed one.

Why do you think you need to know the number of those constants? And why
is it obvious that in your example it's 10? And why do you think you need
to know that number, yet can't hard-code it?

Aryeh M. Friedman

Victor Bazarov said:
There is no way. The enumerators are not members, they are not elements,
they are not objects, they don't occupy memory, so any _existing_ means
to find out sizes of different things in C++ do not work. And there is
no special enum-specific mechanism because nobody ever needed one.

Why do you think you need to know the number of those constants? And why
is it obvious that in your example it's 10? And why do you think you need
to know that number, yet can't hard-code it?

1) Since I need to create an array of objects.. one per token... for example
enum foo {Orange, Bannana, Apple}; foo Fruit["sizeof foo"]

2) In the example I gave it is clearly ten since it is using counting words
but that is besides the point here

3) It is for a system where new "tokens" can be added at compile time to the
enum and since we need the size to make the array and/or any associated
loops for the array need some "constant" that is the size of enum but do not
want to maintain two seperate values when 1 should do (the enum it self and
size
if derived)... doing it the other way is just asking for bugs in the lonbg
run.

--Aryeh

Andre Kostur

1) Since I need to create an array of objects.. one per token... for
example enum foo {Orange, Bannana, Apple}; foo Fruit["sizeof foo"]

2) In the example I gave it is clearly ten since it is using counting
words but that is besides the point here

3) It is for a system where new "tokens" can be added at compile time
to the enum and since we need the size to make the array and/or any
associated loops for the array need some "constant" that is the size
of enum but do not want to maintain two seperate values when 1 should
do (the enum it self and size
if derived)... doing it the other way is just asking for bugs in the
lonbg run.

A frequent "trick" that is used (or at least I've seen it frequently):

enum fruit_e { Orange, Bannana, Apple, LastFruit }; fruit_e Fruit
[LastFruit];

Note that this only works if you don't assign your own values to the enum,
such as:

enum fruit_e { Orange = 10, Bannana, Apple, LastFruit };

That would result in LastFruit being 13... obviously not the intended
value....

Victor Bazarov

Aryeh M. Friedman said:
Victor Bazarov said:
There is no way. The enumerators are not members, they are not elements,
they are not objects, they don't occupy memory, so any _existing_ means
to find out sizes of different things in C++ do not work. And there is
no special enum-specific mechanism because nobody ever needed one.

Why do you think you need to know the number of those constants? And why
is it obvious that in your example it's 10? And why do you think you
need
to know that number, yet can't hard-code it?

1) Since I need to create an array of objects.. one per token... for
example enum foo {Orange, Bannana, Apple}; foo Fruit["sizeof foo"]

And what is that for? To assign each element the corresponding value?
Then all you need to do is to have a macro and proper initialiser:

#define MYENUMS { Orange, Bannana, Apple }

enum foo MYENUMS;
foo Fruit[] = MYENUMS;
3) It is for a system where new "tokens" can be added at compile time to
the enum
Huh?

and since we need the size to make the array and/or any associated loops
for the array need some "constant" that is the size of enum but do not
want to maintain two seperate values when 1 should do (the enum it self
and size
if derived)... doing it the other way is just asking for bugs in the lonbg
run.

I would like to hear a bit more about the "system" where source code
apparently changes at compile time. I am sure I've just fallen behind
on programming methods.

Mike Wahler

Aryeh M. Friedman said:
If have something like the following declartion:

enum foo {One,Two,....,Ten};

How do I determine how many elements (enumerations)... in this case it is
obviously 10

Actually it's not obvious.
but I don't want to hard code that fact

If you only use default values, you can add a 'dummy'
value as the last one, and that value will equal
the number of values preceding it.

enum foo{x, y, z, count};

-Mike

Andre Kostur

1) Since I need to create an array of objects.. one per token... for
example enum foo {Orange, Bannana, Apple}; foo Fruit["sizeof foo"]

And what is that for? To assign each element the corresponding value?
Then all you need to do is to have a macro and proper initialiser:

#define MYENUMS { Orange, Bannana, Apple }

enum foo MYENUMS;
foo Fruit[] = MYENUMS;

That's a neat stunt... hadn't thought of that way before...

msalters

Aryeh said:
If have something like the following declartion:

enum foo {One,Two,....,Ten};

How do I determine how many elements (enumerations)...
in this case it is
obviously 10 but I don't want to hard code that fact

How many elements are there in

enum access { None, Read, Write, ReadWrite };
or in
enum access { None, Read, Write };
Of course, if I wrote the latter, I'd still be able
to write Read|Write instead of ReadWrite, and it
would mean exactly the same ( == 3)
Any bitwise combination of enumerators is also
a legal value for an object of that enum type.

HTH,
Michiel Salters