Deterministic

Discussion in 'XML' started by Eli Golovinsky, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. I'm new to XML so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

    >From what I know there is no way to predict what will be the order of

    the nodes in a generated XML file. The same data of the same structure
    can result in different XML files (when compared as text files), though
    they will contain the same data.

    I need to be able to use common test comparison and merging tools on
    the XML files I generate. Is there any way to do this?

    Eli.

    Eli Golovinsky, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Eli Golovinsky wrote:

    > From what I know there is no way to predict what will be the order of
    > the nodes in a generated XML file. The same data of the same structure
    > can result in different XML files (when compared as text files), though
    > they will contain the same data.

    XML has order, the order of child nodes matters, only attributes are not
    ordered so in the XML sense
    <element att1="value 1" att2="value 2" />
    and
    <element att2="value 2" att1="value 1" />
    represent the same information.

    Of course I don't know how you generate the XML but order of child nodes
    matters.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/