dev-utils breakpoint

Michael Neumann

Hi,

When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
defined (as described in the documentation).

require 'dev-utils/debug'
p "a"
breakpoint
p "b"

This only prints "a".

The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.

I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.

Regards,

Michael

Mauricio Fernández

Hi,

When I want to return from an irb session caused by a breakpoint, and
use "exit", this exits the complete application. And debug_return is not
defined (as described in the documentation).

require 'dev-utils/debug'
p "a"
breakpoint
p "b"

This only prints "a".

The only working way is to use trow :debug_return.

I am using dev-utils (1.0.1-1) from rpa and ruby-1.8.2.

You have to use ^d; as documented at
http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/DebuggingAids.html. It will consider
adding that documentation to the RPA port.

Gavin Sinclair

You have to use ^d; as documented at
http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/DebuggingAids.html. It will consider
adding that documentation to the RPA port.

Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
altogether.)

Mauricio, I thought the doc was included in the RPA port already,
hence the redcloth and cstemplate build dependencies. I'm not
complaining, just curious.

Cheers,
Gavin

Michael Neumann

Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
altogether.)

No the documentation is great, really!

Maybe you could put a comment (how to exit from an irb session) next to
the breakpoint example of the start page: http://dev-utils.rubyforge.org/
I looked there before I found the much longer DebuggingAids.html page.

Hm, I think the "exit" behaviour as it is currently, is okay. Maybe a
"help" method would help? (prints infos about "iv, lv and ^D").

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Michael

Mauricio Fernández

Michael, is there any way I can make that documentation clearer? Is
there any alterantive functionality you suggest? What about somehow
forcing 'exit' to only exit IRB? (Then 'exit!' could quit
altogether.)

Mauricio, I thought the doc was included in the RPA port already,
hence the redcloth and cstemplate build dependencies. I'm not
complaining, just curious.

Oops. They are indeed included. I assumed the docs in the website were
more up-to-date but they seem to be the same.

So, Michael, next time look under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0/dev-utils to
find all the documentation :)

Michael Neumann

Oops. They are indeed included. I assumed the docs in the website were
more up-to-date but they seem to be the same.

So, Michael, next time look under $prefix/share/doc/rpa0.0/dev-utils to
find all the documentation :)

Okay will do :). Thanks very much.

Regards,

Michael