dev-utils gem... How do I require_gem 'dev-utils/debug' ?

Eirikur Hallgrimsson

I love the escape to irb idea and I have need of it. I'm new to gems,
and I have installed the dev-utils gem.

The dev-utils documentation shows a plain non-gem require, which
simply fails because the gem-installed version isn't in the path.

require_gem of 'dev-utils' works but does not supply the breakpoint
method, so I'm assuming that the debug functionality is not loaded.

require_gem of 'dev-utils/debug' fails.

gem list --local shows dev-utils, but not the subcomponents such as
debug.

?

Puzzled,

Eirikur

Jim Weirich

Eirikur said:
I love the escape to irb idea and I have need of it. I'm new to gems,
and I have installed the dev-utils gem.

The dev-utils documentation shows a plain non-gem require, which
simply fails because the gem-installed version isn't in the path.

require_gem of 'dev-utils' works but does not supply the breakpoint
method, so I'm assuming that the debug functionality is not loaded.

require_gem of 'dev-utils/debug' fails.

gem list --local shows dev-utils, but not the subcomponents such as
debug.

Try this:

require 'rubygems' # Might not need this if already required
require_gem 'dev-utils' # This makes the gem available
# It also requires 'dev-utils'
# as a convenience
require 'dev-utils/debug' # Normal require now works
# because the gem is available

Gavin Sinclair

Jim Weirich's fix worked perfectly for me. Thanks, Jim!

The fix:
require 'rubygems' # Might not need this if already required
require_gem 'dev-utils' # This makes the gem available
# It also requires 'dev-utils'
# as a convenience
require 'dev-utils/debug' # Normal require now works
# because the gem is available

Just for completeness, the middle step is unnecessary with RubyGems
0.8. And the comment about it is wrong: it doesn't require
'dev-utils' because the gem has no autorequire set.

Thanks for pointing out the difficulty; I'll see if I can modify the
docs in some helpful way.

Cheers,
Gavin