develop an API wrapper around the (Sybase) core system that will allow data to be exposed using XML

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Hazzard, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Hazzard

    Hazzard Guest

    warning this is a crosspost with the dotnet.framework.webservices newsgroup.
    I wasn't really sure yet which newsgroup was appropriate.

    I will be interviewing for a position that asks for someone to, among other
    things "develop an API wrapper around the (Sybase) core system that will
    allow data to be exposed using XML web services."
    Would an API wrapper just be an interface of some type? To my understanding,
    with extremely limited Web Service experience at this point, it could be as
    simple as creating WebMethods which themselves call Sybase component
    methods. Or if it is to allow data to be exposed, then perhaps this can be
    an altogether separate process apart from Sybase code...dealing directly
    with the database.

    Up to this point have avoided the XML WebService churn while working on more
    traditional ASP.NET apps. I just listened to recent webcasts by Don Box on
    the value of cursor model (ie. XPathNavigator) and Doug Purdy (Loosely
    Coupled Web Services). I checked in with Dan Wahlin's book, XML for ASP.NET
    developers a year ago but haven't really got my feet wet as yet.

    Thank you,
    Greg

    ps. Other requirements for this position;
    Experience with PowerBuilder class libraries and object-oriented development
    techniques is required. Must have one or more of the following skills:
    - Application architect
    - API development using XML/SOAP
    - Web development using ASP/.NET technologies
    - DBA experience for Oracle, SQL Server, and/or Informix.
    -Experience with PowerBuilder 8.0 or 9.0 preferred.

    Hazzard, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Hello Greg,

    Thanks very much for posting here.

    After reviewing the description, I feel the key here is what the core system is. If it means an existing application and now they
    want to expose the data in this application in web service, I think you could create a library of web methods to expose them.

    If it means Sybase database and they want to make Sybase export data through web service or etc directly, the question is
    much more complicated. We need to know the structure of Sybase internally and need to add XML support to it at least. I
    think you'd better to consult it in database newsgroup to see anybody could share some insight with you.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    !From: "Hazzard" <>
    !Subject: develop an API wrapper around the (Sybase) core system that will allow data to be exposed using XML web
    services
    !Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:35:39 -0700
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 30, 2003

  3. Hazzard

    Hazzard Guest

    Thank you for replying to such a general question Yan-Hong.

    I found out more today that there is a need for my client to leverage his
    existing Powerbuilder NVO's (non-visual objects). He would like to have a
    web front end to a Powerbuilder middle-tier so to speak. An idea here is to
    figure out how to use XML to allow communication between the Powerbuilder
    objects and a .NET component.

    So there is a significant investment in business logic already. The idea
    would be to shunt the data off to a .NET presentation tier with ASP.NET;
    rather than the DataWindow which is the current presentation vehicle.

    Thanks,
    -Greg

    "Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Greg,
    >
    > Thanks very much for posting here.
    >
    > After reviewing the description, I feel the key here is what the core

    system is. If it means an existing application and now they
    > want to expose the data in this application in web service, I think you

    could create a library of web methods to expose them.

    > If it means Sybase database and they want to make Sybase export data

    through web service or etc directly, the question is
    > much more complicated. We need to know the structure of Sybase internally

    and need to add XML support to it at least. I
    > think you'd better to consult it in database newsgroup to see anybody

    could share some insight with you.

    > Best regards,
    > Yanhong Huang
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    rights.

    Hazzard, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Hello Greg,

    If the data is transferred in XML format, I think asp.net is a good candidate for developing it. Since ADO.NET uses XML
    closely and it is very convenient to use ado.net in asp.net.

    Thanks.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support