Develop same project with two VS.NET

Grey

I have two developers using VS.NET on their PC to implementing same project.
The application is located in one centralized web server and they are
connecting to the same project. But when one developer is debugging the
project with VS.NET, another developer cannot do so and get the error
message "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
web server. A debugger is already attached." How come this situation?? I
think one web project developing by more than one developer is very common.
How to solve this issue or do I need to change the development approach??

Million Thanks.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Grey,

In IIS 5, only one developer can debug on a machine at a time. That's the
way it works.

In IIS 6, there seems to be a way (haven't tried it) to have multiple debug
sessions but it looks messy:

HOW TO: Set Up Multiple User Debugging in Internet Information Services
(IIS) 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817265

However, in your scenario, I'd recommend using Visual SourceSafe to handle
the version control. Each developer checks in buildable code and gets the
latest version when necessary. They each code and debug locally on their
workstations so they don't interfere with each other. That's far more
productive.

Ken

Jeffrey Palermo [MCP]

Grey,
On my team, we all have a development environment set up on our boxes.
We share the source code through VSS, but we don't have a shared development
server. Each of our machines is a development server, and we can get
changes in other code by getting the latest from VSS. Then for integration
testing, we build from VSS to another development server. When I debug, I'm
actually connected to my own machine running IIS.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Palermo

Joe Fallon

Ditto.