    Q. Does python have to be installed on there computer to run the script?

    Q. Am I approaching this the wrong way? If so, what would be a better
    approach?

    Wayne, Apr 1, 2010

  2. Wayne

    KB Guest

    On Apr 1, 3:34 am, Wayne <> wrote:
    > My town office uses Microsoft operating system. They have a proprietary
    > accounting system that uses excel for their accounting reports.
    > I would like to read these report and reproduce the report so that
    > the report can be seen on the web. I was thinking about using xlrd and
    > xlwt along with some sort of software for building the web pages. I
    > use linux only and do not use Microsoft.
    > Q. Does python have to be installed on there computer to run the script?
    >
    > Q. Am I approaching this the wrong way? If so, what would be a better
    > approach?

    Wayne, check out google group python-excel.

    They are very helpful there, and I believe there are threads on how to
    compile what you are looking for into a .exe for just such a situation
    (Disclaimer: I am far from an expert, so I may have misunderstood from
    the python-excel thread if python is/isn't required on the target
    machine once the .exe is built, but try that group - John Machin is
    very responsive)

    KB, Apr 1, 2010