Developing a "google-like" search engine for intranet

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Alastair, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Alastair

    Alastair Guest

    Hello guys,

    I've been building a search facility for an intranet site I'm part of
    developing and we've been building a search engine using Index Server.
    It mostly works, however there have been a few niggling problems and
    fixing it seems to be a case of patching errors as we find them so I'm
    thinking that it might be worth starting the logic from scratch and
    rebuilding this again.

    Basically we have a simple search, which is simply a text box with a
    submit button. I would like some boolean search functionality, ie.
    search term - would search for all items, search OR term - would search
    for documents containing either words, search AND NOT term - and so on.
    We also have an advanced search, with a number of fields - 'all words',
    'any words', 'exact phrase' and 'not containing'. Does anyone have any
    information on building this kind of search, either sample code or
    simply just a text on how someone might have done this kind of thing.
    I've had a good look around and am yet to find what I'm looking for.
    Must have been done a million times before though!

    Cheers and thanks in advance.

    Alastair

    Alastair, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Alastair

    McKirahan Guest

    "Alastair" <> wrote in message
    > Hello guys,
    >
    > I've been building a search facility for an intranet site I'm part of
    > developing and we've been building a search engine using Index Server.
    > It mostly works, however there have been a few niggling problems and
    > fixing it seems to be a case of patching errors as we find them so I'm
    > thinking that it might be worth starting the logic from scratch and
    > rebuilding this again.
    >
    > Basically we have a simple search, which is simply a text box with a
    > submit button. I would like some boolean search functionality, ie.
    > search term - would search for all items, search OR term - would search
    > for documents containing either words, search AND NOT term - and so on.
    > We also have an advanced search, with a number of fields - 'all words',
    > 'any words', 'exact phrase' and 'not containing'. Does anyone have any
    > information on building this kind of search, either sample code or
    > simply just a text on how someone might have done this kind of thing.
    > I've had a good look around and am yet to find what I'm looking for.
    > Must have been done a million times before though!
    >
    > Cheers and thanks in advance.
    >
    > Alastair

    Why not use Google:

    The fastest and easiest way to implement Google WebSearch is our
    copy-and-paste Google Free web search service. There's no application
    process and it costs nothing to add Google WebSearch and optional Google
    SiteSearch to your site. Just a few lines of HTML copied onto your site and
    your users have access to a Google search of the web. With an additional
    couple of steps, you can add your logo and customizations to the search
    results pages. This service can be up and running in five minutes, and is
    available for businesses of all sizes.

    (Google reserves the right to sell ads on all Google Free search results
    pages.)

    Google Free is search that's fast, easy and yes, absolutely free

    Treat your visitors to the same search service you use yourself. With Google
    Free, it costs nothing to provide Google search results to users who want to
    search the web or just your website.

    http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

    McKirahan, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Alastair

    Thomas Guest

    google won't index an intRAnet - except if you buy one of the quite
    expensive appliance boxes from google ;-)

    unfortunately i won't be a big help for the initial poster as i have some
    index server query problems as well - my index server refuses to do wildcard
    searches.

    - thomas

    Thomas, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Alastair

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 31 Mar 2005 06:36:32 -0800, "Alastair" <>
    wrote:

    >I've been building a search facility for an intranet site I'm part of
    >developing and we've been building a search engine using Index Server.
    >It mostly works, however there have been a few niggling problems and
    >fixing it seems to be a case of patching errors as we find them so I'm
    >thinking that it might be worth starting the logic from scratch and
    >rebuilding this again.
    >
    >Basically we have a simple search, which is simply a text box with a
    >submit button. I would like some boolean search functionality, ie.
    >search term - would search for all items, search OR term - would search
    >for documents containing either words, search AND NOT term - and so on.
    >We also have an advanced search, with a number of fields - 'all words',
    >'any words', 'exact phrase' and 'not containing'. Does anyone have any
    >information on building this kind of search, either sample code or
    >simply just a text on how someone might have done this kind of thing.
    >I've had a good look around and am yet to find what I'm looking for.
    >Must have been done a million times before though!

    Ask in the Index Server group and you'll get plenty of help. Or check
    the MSDN references for Indeing Services, you can modify the query
    with Boolean terms quite easily.

    When you post, tell them whether you're using an IDQ file or not, and
    give a snippet of your code that builds your current query string.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 31, 2005