Developing a Javascript HTML Formatting Toolbar

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Suzanne Mazzone, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I am developing a page which includes a form and three text areas. For
    the text areas I would like users to be able to write in their inputs
    and then have their text formatted with html codes. I am trying to set
    something up so that there is an html formatting toolbar above each
    text area with the following buttons: cut, copy, paste, bold, italic,
    underline, ordered list, unordered list. Basically, what I would like
    to happen is that if someone writes some text in the text area, then
    clicks on the bold button, they can then see their text bold in the
    text area. I really do not want the user to see the html code (i.e.
    <b>text</b>). I have seen this done on Yahoo Mail and they seem to be
    using Javascript and CSS to develop the toolbar and text area. I have
    tried using the Yahoo Mail code however their code also includes a lot
    of extra buttons and script that I do not need. My other problem is
    that while Yahoo Mail only has one text area on their page, I am going
    to have three text areas. I'm having difficulties adapting the Yahoo
    Mail code to work for three seperate text areas. Does anyone know of a
    good tutorial or any other example that can help me. I have tried
    searching around on this topic but so far I haven't be able to find
    anything.

    Thank you!

    Suzanne Mazzone
    Suzanne Mazzone, Jul 29, 2003