Developing a server/client card game

ggarra13

I am looking into developing a server/client card game and was wondering if I should look into writing the server and logic side in ruby while writing the client side in javascript or whether I should write everything in javascript.
I have years of experience with ruby but only brief experience with javascript. I am also concerned with javascript that my source appears in the web page, which is something I would like to avoid.
If you have examples of a web page with similar requirements I would be very appreciative.
Also, JRuby could be an option but I have not considered due to its size.

Robert Klemme

I am looking into developing a server/client card game and was wondering if I should look into writing the server and logic side in ruby while writing the client side in javascript or whether I should write everything in javascript.
I have years of experience with ruby but only brief experience with javascript. I am also concerned with javascript that my source appears in the web page, which is something I would like to avoid.
If you have examples of a web page with similar requirements I would be very appreciative.
Also, JRuby could be an option but I have not considered due to its size.

Is this game supposed to be run in a web browser? Does it have to be
multi platform? If so that basically limits your choices with regard to
language drastically. You could use HTML + JavaScript, Java Applet (or
Web Start) or something .Net - but that is not very portable.

Kind regards

robert

ggarra13

Is this game supposed to be run in a web browser? Does it have to be

multi platform? If so that basically limits your choices with regard to

language drastically. You could use HTML + JavaScript, Java Applet (or

Web Start) or something .Net - but that is not very portable.
Yes, it must run on the web browser. It should be similar to worldofcardgames.com.

Robert Klemme

Yes, it must run on the web browser. It should be similar to worldofcardgames.com.

In terms of scalability it *may* be reasonable to implement a lot in
clients (i.e. JavaScript running in the browser) and only issue REST
requests with JSON documents as data exchange. Then it barely matters
what you use server side - all named platforms have sufficient support
for REST and JSON.

Kind regards

robert