Developing a simple GUI

Shamli

Hi,
I have a C program, and i looking to develop a simple GUI for this
program. i want to use something that is platform independent
(portable) and easy to learn.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Shamli

Gordon Burditt

I have a C program, and i looking to develop a simple GUI for this
program. i want to use something that is platform independent
(portable) and easy to learn.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

If you want a *PORTABLE GUI*, you're pretty much limited to "ASCII
art". (or whatever character set your implementation uses, but I
don't recall hearing the terms "EBCDIC art" or "BAUDOT art" or
"Latin-1 art" used).

The "ncurses" or "curses" packages (found on but not limited to
UNIX; I believe there is an MS-DOS implementation, and telnet /
terminal emulator windows under X or Microsoft Windows that emulate
a known terminal type are also usable) are not portable (but still
do better than hard-coding for one terminal type), and depend on
you telling it the characteristics of the terminal you are using
for things like cursor positioning and clearing the screen (something
which doesn't work very well on printing terminals).

Oh, yes, portable C doesn't do meeces nor character-by-character
(not waiting for ENTER/RETURN) I/O.

Gordon L. Burditt

dfg

Shamli said:
Hi,
I have a C program, and i looking to develop a simple GUI for this
program. i want to use something that is platform independent
(portable) and easy to learn.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Shamli

Start with a book. Try "The elements of user interface design".
Platform independant GUI's in C are ummm... I don't want to say
impossible but...

nrk

Shamli said:
Hi,
I have a C program, and i looking to develop a simple GUI for this
program. i want to use something that is platform independent
(portable) and easy to learn.
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
Shamli

Unfortunately, this cannot be done portably using standard C.
<OT>
Tcl/Tk is a good option for a portable GUI, and definitely qualifies as easy
to learn in my books. You have interpreters for at least two widely used
platforms (Windows and most *NIX flavors), plus it is relatively easy to
integrate with C code.
</OT>

-nrk.

Shamli

Thank you all for the responses.
Christian you are right about wxwindows it is for C++, What about
GLUI.
I am simply looking for a library where i can call within my code.
my GUI may have buttons, checkboxes, text boxes and a picture box
where i do simple graphics like points, lines and circiles.

Cheers,

Camil Demetrescu

Thank you all for the responses.
Christian you are right about wxwindows it is for C++, What about
GLUI.
I am simply looking for a library where i can call within my code.
my GUI may have buttons, checkboxes, text boxes and a picture box
where i do simple graphics like points, lines and circiles.

You may find the Leonardo C Library useful... Although in its infancy
compared to wxWindows or Qt (great C++ tools that have been around for
a decade), the Leonardo Library makes it fairly easy to create simple
GUI apps with basic widgets and 2D graphics (OpenGL support coming
soon).

Check out: http://www.leonardo-vm.org/ll.shtml

Cheers, Camil