Developing applications for Palm/PPC/Symbian?! What enviroment?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Pret Orian, May 25, 2004.

  1. Pret Orian

    Pret Orian Guest

    Hi!
    I'm looking for an enviroment in which I could develop applications
    for Palm OS, Pocket PC and Symbian as target platforms.

    I had a look at AppForge but it was ruled out because of licencing
    policy on runtimes (there souhld be no client license costs).

    I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
    Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
    applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
    Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

    How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

    Any other suggestion?

    TIA
    Pret

    Pret Orian, May 25, 2004

  2. Pret Orian

    Liz Guest

    "Pret Orian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > I'm looking for an enviroment in which I could develop applications
    > for Palm OS, Pocket PC and Symbian as target platforms.
    >
    > I had a look at AppForge but it was ruled out because of licencing
    > policy on runtimes (there souhld be no client license costs).
    >
    > I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
    > Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
    > applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
    > Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?
    >
    > How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?
    >
    > Any other suggestion?
    >
    > TIA
    > Pret

    There is a thing called "jump" that is supposed to allow you
    to write programs in java that run on the palm pilot. Here is
    an example program for you.
    ---------------------------------
    import palmos.*;

    class Hello {
    static final int idfMain = 1000;

    public static int PilotMain(int cmd, int cmdBPB, int launchFlags)
    {
    if (cmd != 0) {
    return 0;
    }

    Palm.FrmGotoForm(idfMain);

    Event e = new Event();
    ShortHolder err = new ShortHolder((short)0);
    while (e.eType != Event.appStopEvent) {
    Palm.EvtGetEvent(e, -1);
    if (!Palm.SysHandleEvent(e)) {
    if (!Palm.MenuHandleEvent(0, e, err)) {
    if (!appHandleEvent(e)) {
    Palm.FrmHandleEvent(Palm.FrmGetActiveForm(), e);
    Palm.FrmCloseAllForms();
    return 0;
    }

    static boolean appHandleEvent(Event e)
    {
    if (e.eType == Event.frmLoadEvent) {
    int form = Palm.FrmInitForm(e.formID());
    Palm.FrmSetActiveForm(form);
    return true;
    } else if (e.eType == Event.frmOpenEvent) {
    Palm.FrmDrawForm(Palm.FrmGetActiveForm());
    return true;
    }
    return false;

    Liz, May 25, 2004