Developing applications for Palm/PPC/Symbian?! What enviroment?

Pret Orian

Hi!
I'm looking for an enviroment in which I could develop applications
for Palm OS, Pocket PC and Symbian as target platforms.

I had a look at AppForge but it was ruled out because of licencing
policy on runtimes (there souhld be no client license costs).

I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

Any other suggestion?

TIA
Pret

Liz

Pret Orian said:
Hi!
I'm looking for an enviroment in which I could develop applications
for Palm OS, Pocket PC and Symbian as target platforms.

I had a look at AppForge but it was ruled out because of licencing
policy on runtimes (there souhld be no client license costs).

I know Codewarrior would be acceptable solution for Palm OS and
Symbian, but does it cover Pocket PC? If we just created simple
applications, would it be difficult to crosscompile the code for
Symbian/Palm OS having all the different SDKs?

How about Java? How do low-end Palms (2 Mb) handle Java applications?

Any other suggestion?

TIA
Pret

There is a thing called "jump" that is supposed to allow you
to write programs in java that run on the palm pilot. Here is
an example program for you.
---------------------------------
import palmos.*;

class Hello {
static final int idfMain = 1000;

public static int PilotMain(int cmd, int cmdBPB, int launchFlags)
{
if (cmd != 0) {
return 0;
}

Palm.FrmGotoForm(idfMain);

Event e = new Event();
ShortHolder err = new ShortHolder((short)0);
while (e.eType != Event.appStopEvent) {
Palm.EvtGetEvent(e, -1);
if (!Palm.SysHandleEvent(e)) {
if (!Palm.MenuHandleEvent(0, e, err)) {
if (!appHandleEvent(e)) {
Palm.FrmHandleEvent(Palm.FrmGetActiveForm(), e);
Palm.FrmCloseAllForms();
return 0;
}

static boolean appHandleEvent(Event e)
{
if (e.eType == Event.frmLoadEvent) {
int form = Palm.FrmInitForm(e.formID());
Palm.FrmSetActiveForm(form);
return true;
} else if (e.eType == Event.frmOpenEvent) {
Palm.FrmDrawForm(Palm.FrmGetActiveForm());
return true;
}
return false;