    (Remote Desktop?, develop w.out debugging? etc.) It is very frustrating to
    our developers and we hope to find a solution that lets us be productive and
    abide by the rules bestowed upon us.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVuZGF2?=, Oct 10, 2006

  2. You might be able to collect remote debug information from your
    development server using DebugView from Sysinternals:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/DebugView.html

    Chris Fulstow, Oct 10, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?ZGVuZGF2?=

    GroupReader Guest

    I'm impressed that you kept your cool while asking that question.
    Nothing ticks me off more than when a person is paid to develop
    applications but isn't allowed to use the proper tools to do so.

    Answer #1: You need access to IIS. Eventually you will need to
    install the app on the server. You'll need access to do the
    installation. At a minimum, you should have access to your local IIS
    so that you can tell the administrator how to set up IIS on the web
    server. Same goes for the database - how can you tell your DB Admin
    what to do on the production box, if you aren't allowed to try it out
    locally (or in a TEST environment) first??

    Answer #2: Visual Studio 2005 solves much of this problem with the
    "personal web server". You can run an ASP.Net app without IIS and
    Visual Studio will launch it's own "personal" web server. This is an
    okay solution for the bulk of development, but you'll still need to
    refer to Answer #1 when it comes time to system test and install your
    app. As for the DB, it's irritating, but not really that big of a deal
    if you are not allowed to have a local SQL Server running. You'll
    still have all the client tools installed, right? (Query Analyzer,
    Enterprise Manager, etc...) Use this as an excuse for upgrading to
    ASP.Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005.

    GroupReader, Oct 10, 2006
  4. You should certainly be able to turn on the Remote Debugging service and
    debug apps from other machines. Seems to me though, that you are in a
    development environment run by a bunch of paranoid idiots, to put
    restrictions like that. I once worked at a company that treated its people
    like little kids and I can tell you that I got out of there just as fast as I
    could.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Oct 10, 2006
  5. I've personally run into this doing development wok for the State of
    California, and the County of Sacramento. In both cases, admins were worried
    about an increased attack surface on developer workstations.

    You could try convincing them that you can bind IIS to 127.0.0.1, so that
    there is no increased attack surface available. You could also verify that
    firewalls are running on your machines with port 80 as an incoming port
    being explicitly blocked.

    Fortunatly, VS.NET 2005 uses the personal web server, so you'll be alright
    for 80% of your ASP.Net 2.0 development.

    There are workarounds to your problem using a shared IIS server and remote
    debugging. I've never had this work right in a shared environment. Too many
    people each stepping on each other...

    --
    Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise
    http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins

    Chris Mullins, Oct 10, 2006
  6. 1st, thanks for the reply. Working on a gov't contract has restrictions I
    give you that --- it's very hard to convince the it security/network folks
    about what software/services/ports you need to have running in order to
    remain a productive developer ---- their philosophy --- "SECURITY OVER
    CONVENIENCE".

    On my team we are the architects, developers, DBMS admins, etc. so we can
    install our applications on the remote server. We are also informed that ALL
    web servers must have valid SSL certificates (443); which is being
    interpreted as local versions of IIS for development purposes.

    I'm not really concerned about the SQL set-up, as you've mentioned we can do
    anything we need with the Enterprise Tools installed on our local machine to
    access the server. I do not know the affects we will encounter by having our
    web services shut down and IIS removed from our local machines.

    Q: Is there a work around, while still stepping through code and debugging,
    with 8 other people developing, maintaining, and testing other applications
    off of the same IIS Server on the remote machine.

    I know we will definately be "stepping" on each other when it comes to
    stopping/restarting services or rebooting the server, but it looks like we
    will not have a choice in this matter.

    Thanks in advance.

    We only have one version of VS.NET 2005; all developers currently have
    VS.NET 2003.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVuZGF2?=, Oct 10, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVuZGF2?=, Oct 10, 2006
  8. re:
    > 1) How do you make IIS 5.0 accepting C# script? It fails with the error msg:
    > "The scripting language 'C#' is not found on the server."

    You need to install either the .Net Framework 1.1
    or the .Net Framework 2.0 ( go for the 2.0 version... )

    They both install support for C# (and VB.NET).

    There's links to the downloads at :
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542.aspx

    re:
    > 2) The "local" development server which comes "for free" with VS2005. Can
    > you see it from a remote machine?. I could not achieve that.

    No. It only works as a local test server.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 23, 2007