Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the world leader - Microsoft

Guest

Developing, building, and testing. How do it the best? Learning from the
world leader - Microsoft

I'm very interested in how the developing/build/testing workflow @ Microsoft
looks like. I think Microsoft as world leader in software developing
business must have a very good workflow. Does anyone know how the
development flow @ Microsoft looks like?

I'm also interested in the workflow in your company perhaps the workflow in
your company better then @ Microsoft? What do you think about test driven
development?

Regards,

Gicio

Morten Wennevik

Well, they do have a book called "Analyzing Requirements and Defining
Microsoft .Net Solution Architecture" which is all about large scale
software development process (envisioning, planning, developing,
stabilizing/testing, deploying) and very little .net. It's one of the
requirements for MCSD.NET.

Carl Daniel [VC++ MVP]

Which workflow use companies that are on the CMM levels 3, 4, 5 ???
(http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmm/)

Very few companies ever do the benchmarking necessary to establish which CMM
level they fall in. In my estimation., the vast majority of companies are
at level 1, a few at level 2 and a very few at levels 3, 4, 5. There is far
from uniform agreement, even amoung acedemics, that the CMM really measures
the right things for many types of businesses, so it's not at all surprising
that few organizations go to the trouble of being assessed.

If you're interested in the practices of a CMM level 3/4 organization, take
a look at the NASA LaRC Software Process Improvement Initiative home page at
http://sw-eng.larc.nasa.gov/ or the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Software Engineering Laboratory at
http://sel.gsfc.nasa.gov/website/index.htm. I recall finding a NASA
department that claimed to be at CMM level 5, but I can't recall the group
or find that reference anymore.

-cd