Developing for Linux Shell Using Windows

John Owens

Hi,

I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
code run on Linux.

e.g.

Code using Windows
Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )

I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
command shell.

It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
someone might know of anything suitable.

Thanks,
John.

Sorry if this isn't on topic.

msalters

John Owens schreef:
Hi,

I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
code run on Linux.
Sorry if this isn't on topic.

It isn't.

Larry I Smith

John said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
code run on Linux.

e.g.

Code using Windows
Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )

I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
command shell.

It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
someone might know of anything suitable.

Thanks,
John.

Sorry if this isn't on topic.

Use VNC perhaps?

This can display the Linux desktop in a window on your
MS Windows pc; then all of the action happens on the
linux box, but you're controlling it from the Windows box.
Just install the VNC server on linux (most distros include
it), then install the free VNC client (TightVNC perhaps?)
on the Windows pc.

Larry

Alfonso Morra

John said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
code run on Linux.

e.g.

Code using Windows
Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )

I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
command shell.

It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
someone might know of anything suitable.

Thanks,
John.

Sorry if this isn't on topic.

Take a look at Eclipse (you'll want the C++ plugin). For cross platform
development - it dosen't really get any better, especially if you
consider the price (free as in openSource + large dev community)

Larry I Smith

Larry said:
Use VNC perhaps?

This can display the Linux desktop in a window on your
MS Windows pc; then all of the action happens on the
linux box, but you're controlling it from the Windows box.
Just install the VNC server on linux (most distros include
it), then install the free VNC client (TightVNC perhaps?)
on the Windows pc.

Larry

Of course, then you would use a Linux IDE (KDevelop, Anjuta,
Eclipse, etc). The IDE runs on the Linux box, but you see/control
it via the Linux desktop displayed inside the VNC window on
your MS Windows box.

Larry