Developing for Linux Shell Using Windows

Discussion in 'C++' started by John Owens, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. John Owens

    John Owens Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
    would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
    code run on Linux.

    e.g.

    Code using Windows
    Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
    using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
    Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )

    I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
    command shell.

    It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
    someone might know of anything suitable.

    Thanks,
    John.

    Sorry if this isn't on topic.
    John Owens, Aug 11, 2005

  2. John Owens

    msalters Guest

    John Owens schreef:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
    > would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
    > code run on Linux.
    > Sorry if this isn't on topic.

    It isn't.
    msalters, Aug 11, 2005

  3. John Owens wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
    > would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
    > code run on Linux.
    >
    > e.g.
    >
    > Code using Windows
    > Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
    > using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
    > Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )
    >
    > I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
    > command shell.
    >
    > It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
    > someone might know of anything suitable.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John.
    >
    > Sorry if this isn't on topic.

    Use VNC perhaps?

    This can display the Linux desktop in a window on your
    MS Windows pc; then all of the action happens on the
    linux box, but you're controlling it from the Windows box.
    Just install the VNC server on linux (most distros include
    it), then install the free VNC client (TightVNC perhaps?)
    on the Windows pc.

    Larry
    Larry I Smith, Aug 11, 2005
  4. John Owens wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
    > would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
    > code run on Linux.
    >
    > e.g.
    >
    > Code using Windows
    > Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
    > using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
    > Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )
    >
    > I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
    > command shell.
    >
    > It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
    > someone might know of anything suitable.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John.
    >
    > Sorry if this isn't on topic.

    Take a look at Eclipse (you'll want the C++ plugin). For cross platform
    development - it dosen't really get any better, especially if you
    consider the price (free as in openSource + large dev community)
    Alfonso Morra, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Larry I Smith wrote:
    > John Owens wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a plugin for Visual Studio .NET or another IDE etc that
    >> would allow me to develop on Windows but have the compiler and debugger and
    >> code run on Linux.
    >>
    >> e.g.
    >>
    >> Code using Windows
    >> Build ( Behind the scenes: FTP updated files over to Linux and then compile
    >> using a telnet session where the output is piped back to Windows IDE )
    >> Run ( automatically Telnet in and run code leaving telnet session open )
    >>
    >> I can't use X (various reasons) and I'm very reluctant to develop using a
    >> command shell.
    >>
    >> It seems like a common problem with an easyish solution so I just thought
    >> someone might know of anything suitable.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John.
    >>
    >> Sorry if this isn't on topic.
    >>

    > Use VNC perhaps?
    >
    > This can display the Linux desktop in a window on your
    > MS Windows pc; then all of the action happens on the
    > linux box, but you're controlling it from the Windows box.
    > Just install the VNC server on linux (most distros include
    > it), then install the free VNC client (TightVNC perhaps?)
    > on the Windows pc.
    >
    > Larry

    Of course, then you would use a Linux IDE (KDevelop, Anjuta,
    Eclipse, etc). The IDE runs on the Linux box, but you see/control
    it via the Linux desktop displayed inside the VNC window on
    your MS Windows box.

    Larry
    Larry I Smith, Aug 11, 2005