Developing Web Control - Version Information

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Mythran, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Mythran

    Mythran Guest

    I'm developing a web control in VB.Net and also the sample project to go with it.
    This web control, when installed on the user's machine, will be installed into
    the GAC for all web applications (the user's machine for this web project is a
    production server). What I need for development is a way for the Sample
    application to always use the updated web control instead of referencing the old
    control. While developing, I'm not installing into the GAC and the sample
    project is referencing the file of the web control (well, duh).

    Some ways I have developed with this specific project is to place both the Sample
    and the control in the same solution and reference the project instead of the
    file. Good deal, doesn't work for me. While doing it that way, inside my
    control's designer, when I CType the control to the type of the web control I
    built, it throws an error saying something like 'MCIS.WebControls.ControlHere'
    cannot be typed to 'MCIS.WebControls.ControlHere' because they are different
    types.

    So, while I "CAN" get it to work by manually removing the control from the sample
    project, recompiling "JUST" the control, then adding the control back to the
    sample project ... it seems too frustrating of a thing to do over and over and
    over (which is the way I was doing it for quite some time).

    Another way to do it would be to just readd the control to the sample project
    (after compiling the library) but have them both in their own solutions. It
    works, but the debugging part of it isn't simplistic anymore....I have to put
    both to start debug when external process attaches to it then launch IE...

    Thanks,

    Mythran
    Mythran, Jan 5, 2004