development environment architecture for ASP.NET development team

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Akhlaq Khan, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Akhlaq Khan

    Akhlaq Khan Guest

    hi,
    we have been working on web based applications built in ASP for quite
    sometime now, but now we are moving to ASP.net. we have decided to use
    ASP.NET for developing new modules in our current projects (built in ASP).
    So, the applications will be composed of both ASP and ASP.NET pages
    simultaneously. Since, ASP is a scripting language, it was easier for us to
    put all the source code on a single web server, add the web to visual
    soursafe using FP extentions in IIS, connect to the web applications from
    development workstations using visual interdev and start checking files
    in/out without any problem. the developers would test the effects of their
    changes right on the web server by hitting refresh or F5. Everything takes
    place on the web server, except code modification.

    now, since we are moving from a scripting language to a "compiled" language
    (ASP.NET), that means the application would need to be "built" on
    development workstations before being deployed on server (check in), since i
    cannot expect my developers to build the application on server after every
    single change they make on their own machine, coz they will keep switching
    between machines forever. Moreover, i want the developers to be able to
    "debug" their appliactions rigth on other workstations (i found out that
    debugging is nearly impossible if application is placed on server, just like
    it was in ASP 3.0).

    My question is:

    1. What are the standard/recommended architectures for setting up
    development environments for ASP.NET applications ?
    2. Which one should i use if i want to use a).visual sourcesafe for version
    management. b) debugging capability for all developers on their own machines
    rather than server, c) easier maintenance/no or least code synchronization
    hassle.

    desparately waiting for response ...

    thanks,

    akhlaq khan.
    Akhlaq Khan, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Akhlaq Khan

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Answers embedded

    > My question is:
    >
    > 1. What are the standard/recommended architectures for setting up
    > development environments for ASP.NET applications ?

    Have a dedicated development server on which the projects are created. As
    long as your developers open the project from the server any changes they
    make will updated on the server.
    If they do a Project >> Build then the correct files will be automatically
    uploaded to the dev server.

    > 2. Which one should i use if i want to use
    >a).visual sourcesafe for version management.
    >b) debugging capability for all developers on their own machines rather
    >than server,
    >c) easier maintenance/no or least code synchronization hassle.

    For easiest and most integrated version management consider using SourceSafe
    version 6.0d. It directly integrates with VS.NET and when your developers
    try to make changes to files it will prompt them to checkout the files. It
    can even be set to upload the changes on vs.net shutdown.

    I have been using win2k3 EE server as a dev server with XP destkop boxes and
    it all works just fine. Tried other products for version management but too
    used to sourcesafe to have stuck with it.

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)
    Hermit Dave, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Hi Akhlaq,

    I can't tell you the "best" way, but I can tell you how we do it. We have XP
    Pro workstations for our developers, each with IIS running on it. We use
    Visual SourceSafe as well. We check the ASP.Net projects into SourceSafe,
    and work from local copies. This prevents one developer from working on
    something another developer has checked out.

    When you use VSS with ASP.Net, the project files are created in the web
    directory on the client machine. The project file itself can be anywhere. We
    keep the project files in our documents folders, along with our non-web app
    project folders. When another developer needs a copy, he opens the project
    from VSS, copying the files into a new web app which VS.Net sets up.

    Just make sure that only Projects, not solutions are kept in VSS, and you
    should be fine.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 27, 2004
  4. Hi,

    This will link you to a presentation, almost 2 hours long, that will show
    you how to set everything up in a few different ways:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328845

    Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Sep 27, 2004
  5. The preferred method is to develop locally and use some form of source
    control (in most cases SourceSafe). When a developer is ready to push
    something to a test server, he gets latest and ensures a build can compile.
    It is then pushed up and tested.

    NOTE: This was also true in the ASP world.

    ---

    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Sep 27, 2004