    the VC# one from Microsoft and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
    to run Java Applets or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
    included?
    Logician, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Logician

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:29:06 -0800 (PST), Logician
    said :

    >I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
    >Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
    >and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
    >good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
    >The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
    >classses and there are faster ways to search.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

    main ones to try:
    IntelliJ
    Eclipse
    NetBeans
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Logician

    Logician Guest

    On Mar 9, 7:41 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:29:06 -0800 (PST), Logician
    > said :
    >
    > >I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
    > >Java modules to develop interactive maps similar towww.muckety.com
    > >and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
    > >good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
    > >The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
    > >classses and there are faster ways to search.

    > seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html
    >
    > main ones to try:
    > IntelliJ
    > Eclipse
    > NetBeans
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

    I just d/l the JDeveloper software and then found there is almost
    printed help (few books).

    I will take a look at the others.
    Logician, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Logician wrote:
    > I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
    > Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
    > and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
    > good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
    > The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
    > classses and there are faster ways to search.
    >
    > I know Java can be coded just using WordPad but this will not show
    > classes and debugging is very hard. I assume these issues and the slow
    > download times have hindered Java development.

    I don't Java has been hindered. There are plenty of excellent IDEs for
    Java that do all the things you list for "VC#".

    > I am assuming people are still using applets,

    I think applets are not as popular as they were some years ago.

    > or are servlets now more
    > commonly used negating the need for slow downloads and plug-ins?

    I get the impression that people use JSP for some of the things that
    applets might once have been used for. There is also an alternative
    deployment technology called JWS.

    > Is there a comprehensive development environment in Java as potent as
    > the VC# one from Microsoft

    Potency is somewhat subjective. There are sophisticated development
    environments for Java with support for debugging, refactoring
    code-completion, syntax highlighting, on-the-fly compilation, ...

    > and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
    > to run Java Applets

    Yes.

    > or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
    > included?

    Yes. Not all browser vendors choose to include such plug-ins as standard.

    The same is true of ActiveX, Flash, .NET, Silverlight, etc.
    RedGrittyBrick, Mar 9, 2008
  5. Logician

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Logician wrote:
    > I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
    > Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
    > and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
    > good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
    > The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
    > classses and there are faster ways to search.

    Java IDE's does the same thing.

    > I know Java can be coded just using WordPad but this will not show
    > classes and debugging is very hard. I assume these issues and the slow
    > download times have hindered Java development.

    No.

    Practically all Java developers use an IDE.

    > I am assuming people are still using applets, or are servlets now more
    > commonly used negating the need for slow downloads and plug-ins?

    Applets are no that popular any more.

    I think Flash has somewhat filled that niche.

    Servlets and JSP are server side and are a replacement for
    ASP/PHP/ASP.NET not a replacement for applets.

    > Is there a comprehensive development environment in Java as potent as
    > the VC# one from Microsoft

    Plenty.

    Eclipse, NetBeans, Oracle JDeveloper, IntelliJ IDEA, Borlands Eclipse
    cone, IBM's Eclipse clone.

    > and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
    > to run Java Applets or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
    > included?

    If you want X plugin working in a browser you need X installed on the
    client PC.

    Java or Flash or whatever.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 9, 2008