Development Environments in Java?

Logician

I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
classses and there are faster ways to search.

I know Java can be coded just using WordPad but this will not show
classes and debugging is very hard. I assume these issues and the slow
download times have hindered Java development.

I am assuming people are still using applets, or are servlets now more
commonly used negating the need for slow downloads and plug-ins?

Is there a comprehensive development environment in Java as potent as
the VC# one from Microsoft and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
to run Java Applets or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
included?

Roedy Green

I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
classses and there are faster ways to search.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

main ones to try:
IntelliJ
Eclipse
NetBeans

Logician

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/ide.html

main ones to try:
IntelliJ
Eclipse
NetBeans

I just d/l the JDeveloper software and then found there is almost
printed help (few books).

I will take a look at the others.

RedGrittyBrick

Logician said:
I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
classses and there are faster ways to search.

I know Java can be coded just using WordPad but this will not show
classes and debugging is very hard. I assume these issues and the slow
download times have hindered Java development.

I don't Java has been hindered. There are plenty of excellent IDEs for
Java that do all the things you list for "VC#".
I am assuming people are still using applets,

I think applets are not as popular as they were some years ago.

or are servlets now more
commonly used negating the need for slow downloads and plug-ins?

I get the impression that people use JSP for some of the things that
applets might once have been used for. There is also an alternative
deployment technology called JWS.

Is there a comprehensive development environment in Java as potent as
the VC# one from Microsoft

Potency is somewhat subjective. There are sophisticated development
environments for Java with support for debugging, refactoring
code-completion, syntax highlighting, on-the-fly compilation, ...

and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
to run Java Applets
Yes.

or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
included?

Yes. Not all browser vendors choose to include such plug-ins as standard.

The same is true of ActiveX, Flash, .NET, Silverlight, etc.

Arne Vajhøj

Logician said:
I have been writing C# .NET programs but I also want to write some
Java modules to develop interactive maps similar to www.muckety.com
and quintura.com. I have found the VC# environment from Microsoft very
good for debugging, faster coding, and greater visibility in the code.
The VC# software will automatically list methods, properties and
classses and there are faster ways to search.

Java IDE's does the same thing.
I know Java can be coded just using WordPad but this will not show
classes and debugging is very hard. I assume these issues and the slow
download times have hindered Java development.

No.

Practically all Java developers use an IDE.
I am assuming people are still using applets, or are servlets now more
commonly used negating the need for slow downloads and plug-ins?

Applets are no that popular any more.

I think Flash has somewhat filled that niche.

Servlets and JSP are server side and are a replacement for
ASP/PHP/ASP.NET not a replacement for applets.
Is there a comprehensive development environment in Java as potent as
the VC# one from Microsoft

Plenty.

Eclipse, NetBeans, Oracle JDeveloper, IntelliJ IDEA, Borlands Eclipse
cone, IBM's Eclipse clone.
and are plug-ins still needed in browsers
to run Java Applets or can browsers automatically have the plug-in
included?

If you want X plugin working in a browser you need X installed on the
client PC.

Java or Flash or whatever.

Arne