    options...asp, php, etc., but would one be better suited for my needs in
    this case then another?

    Thanks for your help.

    Dave \IT\, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Dave \IT\

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Dave "IT" wrote:
    > I apologize if this is not the correct group, but because of my question, I
    > thought it best to post in a general one.
    >
    > I'm interested in creating a site that I suppose would closely resemble the
    > setup of a dating site. Lavalife, Campuskiss, etc. What programming
    > language(s) should I be considering when doing this? I know I have several
    > options...asp, php, etc., but would one be better suited for my needs in
    > this case then another?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    big questions, and you'll need at least THREE languages;

    One server-side language - either ASP, PHP, JSP... doesn't REALLY
    matter. Whichever you are most comfortable programming in, and of course
    whichever one your host supports. On top of this you will of course need
    a database, and you'll need to learn SQL regardless of what database
    platform you choose. Finally, for basic form validation on the client
    side, you'll need to learn JavaScript or you'll end up with way to many
    server fetches.

    Pretty much all of the above is required, and I'd suggest a few more
    that will make life easier: you data should be managed in XML, and make
    sure your site is put together using CSS.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Dave \IT\

    mark | r Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > Dave "IT" wrote:
    >> I apologize if this is not the correct group, but because of my question,
    >> thought it best to post in a general one.
    >>
    >> I'm interested in creating a site that I suppose would closely resemble
    >> the
    >> setup of a dating site. Lavalife, Campuskiss, etc. What programming
    >> language(s) should I be considering when doing this? I know I have
    >> several
    >> options...asp, php, etc., but would one be better suited for my needs in
    >> this case then another?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>

    > big questions, and you'll need at least THREE languages;
    >
    > One server-side language - either ASP, PHP, JSP... doesn't REALLY matter.
    > Whichever you are most comfortable programming in, and of course whichever
    > one your host supports. On top of this you will of course need a database,
    > and you'll need to learn SQL regardless of what database platform you
    > choose. Finally, for basic form validation on the client side, you'll need
    > to learn JavaScript or you'll end up with way to many server fetches.
    >
    > Pretty much all of the above is required, and I'd suggest a few more that
    > will make life easier: you data should be managed in XML, and make sure
    > your site is put together using CSS.

    why not download some free applications instead of reinventing the wheel -
    try searching www.hotscripts.com www.aspin.com or www.sitescripts.com for
    dating site scripts - then just learn enough to tweak the templates and
    there you go!

    mark

    mark | r, Oct 1, 2004