Development Server Setup

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Miro, Mar 26, 2009.

  1. Miro

    Miro Guest

    Hi,
    Sorry I am verynew to Asp.net and using Vista and also IE 8 (vs2008pro).
    Going through my tutorial book -
    I am trying to create a 'helloworld' application and when I run I get the
    web browser popping up with the address as:

    http://localhost:52949/HelloWorld.htm

    Now this pulls up the error:
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.

    What do I need to setup within VS or in my IE to get it working.
    I have checked security settings for SSL it is set for 3.0, I have also set
    it for 2.0

    But googling around I cant seem to find a straight answer on how to get my
    pages to display.

    Thanks,

    Miro

    "More Information" from IE==============
    More information

    This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

    ..Internet connectivity has been lost.
    ..The website is temporarily unavailable.
    ..The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    ..The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    domain.
    ..There might be a typing error in the address.
    ..If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
    click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
    under the security section.

    For offline users

    You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

    1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
    you want to view.

    To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

    1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page
    you want to view.

    Miro, Mar 26, 2009

  2. Miro

    Miro Guest

    Solved - Re: Development Server Setup

    Found this link - just as I posted my question
    http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/a...net-web-development-server-stops-working.aspx

    Sorry for the post - below is a cut and paste of the link.
    (basically add the 127.0.0.1 localhost to
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
    some update in windows defender did it.

    Here is a cut and paste =============
    ASP.NET Web Development Server Stops Working
    A Windows Defender and Microsoft Forefront Client Security signature file
    (1.53.256.0) was released at 8:45 PM (PST) on March 9, 2009 to address a
    Win32/PossibleHostFileHijack issue. This update modified the hosts file to
    prevent malicious redirection of websites. As a result, the entry for
    localhost may have been removed from the hosts file. When this entry is
    missing and a site is launched in the ASP.NET Web Development Server (aka
    Cassini) via Visual Studio, Internet Explorer displays "Internet Explorer
    cannot display the webpage".

    To resolve this issue, open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add an
    entry for localhost:

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    A new signature file (1.53.288.0) was released at 8:57 PM on March 9, 2009
    that does not affect the localhost entry.

    ============================

    Miro, Mar 26, 2009

  3. Miro

    Scott M. Guest

    FYI: The results you get with IE8 may vary wildly with the results you get
    in IE7 or IE6 (which is what most corporations are still on).

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 26, 2009
  4. Miro

    Miro Guest

    Im just going through the tutorial book "step by step", and there are 2 more
    books in sequence.

    I figure by the time im done, and want to write something for the real world
    IE10 will be out :)

    I have learned vb.net and now want to start learning how to do the asp.net
    side as well.

    One thing that I do have about IE8 is that it displays many websites wrong
    that worked with IE7.

    I do not recommend anyone installing IE8 yet.

    Cheers'

    Miro

    Miro, Mar 27, 2009
  5. Miro

    Hillbilly Guest

    Read this: http://tinyurl.com/clpklf

    Hillbilly, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Miro

    Scott M. Guest

    IE 8 has a "compatability mode" switch the you are supposed to know to set
    if you want it to be backwards compatible with sites that work with IE 7.
    This functionality will not change, so don't wait for a newer version of IE8
    that works differently.

    Because of this, as I said, you should not try to learn web page development
    while using a browser that provides results that are different than the
    learning materials you are working from.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Mar 27, 2009
  7. Miro

    Miro Guest

    yeah - I use the compatability button a lot.

    I switch back all the time.

    Thanks

    Miro

    Miro, Mar 31, 2009