    If anyone has a recommendation I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Fred
    Fred Nelson, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Fred Nelson

    Karl Seguin Guest

    You'll hit a diminishing return as you keep upgrading. I've found my sweet
    spot to be 1gb, but that has more to do with gaming than development.

    The overall answer is that it depends. Memory might not be your bottleneck
    anymore. Say you were running on a P100 (exageration). You could upgrade
    to 10000Gb and your CPU would still be limiting the overall performance of
    your system. An old hard drive could also be an issue.

    Frankly, if you find developing w/512 is reasonable (ie, you don't find
    yourself thinking how slow it is all the time) I say stick with it. Ram is
    so cheap though, it's no big deal. I know I find VS.Net 2005 still pretty
    slow despite the claims of how 80% faster it was going to be...

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Nov 21, 2005

  3. Fred,

    I run a lot of applications at the same time and I have both a desktop and a
    laptop that each have 1gig of memory. You will always have increased
    performance with more memory, but seeing that performance increase will
    mostly depend on how many applications you run at the same time.

    The more memory you have the less data needs to be stored on the hard drive
    in the page file. But if you aren't using all your memory now because you
    only keep one or two applications running at a time then I doubt you'd see
    much more performance gain. However if, like me, you are running a
    development environment where your machine is running VS2005, SQL Server,
    and IIS, there are quite a few applications running already and then most of
    us run Outlook, Word, A graphic editor like fireworks and/or photoshop, plus
    any number of other programs at the same time. If that's the case with you
    getting to 1gig would probably give you even better performance.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer