Developping an EAI server in Python : looking for developpers

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alexander DEJANOVSKI, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm starting a new project to develop an Open-Source EAI server in Python
    and I'm looking for motivated developpers and testers.
    It is inspired by Open Adaptor (www.openadaptor.org), but aims to be easier
    to use and more powerful.

    I've developped yet a first alpha that contains several components:

    File Source
    FTP Source
    HTTP Source

    FlatToXML Pipe
    XSLT Pipe

    File Sink
    FTP Sink
    SMTP Sink

    Upcoming components are :

    SOAP Source/Sink
    MQSeries Source/Sink
    JMS (?) Source/Sink
    Database Source/Sink

    and a GUI to create config files.
    Config files are XML files looking like this :

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <retic_adaptor>
    <logger name="Log1" handler="FileHandler"
    fileName="c:\\logTest.out" format="%(asctime)s %(levelname)s %(message)s"
    level="WARNING" mode="w"/>
    <logger name="Log2" handler="FileHandler"
    fileName="c:\\logTest2.out" format="%(asctime)s %(levelname)s %(message)s"
    level="INFO" mode="w"/>

    <source name="source1" type="fileSource" polls="1" pollPeriod="10"
    filePath="c:" fileFilter="ext_err.csv" newExtension="" newDir="">
    <pipe name="transform_to_XML1" type="ToXML" msgKind="delimited"
    delimiter=";" rootTag="racine" recTag="rec" encoding="UTF-8">
    <field name="message"/>
    <field name="date_traitement"/>
    <field name="ident"/>
    <field name="no_contrat"/>
    <field name="no_lt"/>
    <field name="date_lt"/>
    <field name="etat"/>
    <field name="date_heure_saisie"/>

    <sink name="outputToFile1" type="fileSink" filePath="c:\"
    fileName="test_sink.xml" addTimestamp="n"/>
    <pipe name="xslt1" type="XSLT"
    stylesheet="E:\\Xml\\XSL\\test.xsl">
    <sink name="outputToFile2" type="fileSink"
    filePath="c:\" fileName="test_sink.html" addTimestamp="n"/>
    <sink name="outputToFtpFile1" type="ftpSink"
    ftpHost="194.214.207.44" ftpPort="" ftpUser="guest" ftpPass="guest"
    filePath="/E:/ADI" fileName="test_sink.html" addTimestamp="n"/>
    </pipe>
    </pipe>
    </source>
    </retic_adaptor>

    Loggers tags permit to add logging handlers (new logging module of Python
    2.3)

    I've created the project on SourceForge (approval in progress).

    Alexander DEJANOVSKI, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Alexander DEJANOVSKI wrote:

    > I'm starting a new project to develop an Open-Source EAI server in Python
    > and I'm looking for motivated developpers and testers.
    > It is inspired by Open Adaptor (_www.openadaptor.org_
    > <http://www.openadaptor.org/>), but aims to be easier
    > to use and more powerful.

    Could you please summarize what the goals of this project are?
    And how it relates to Open Adaptor? (which I don't have the time
    to read about).

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Aug 4, 2003

  3. Alexander DEJANOVSKI

    John J. Lee Guest

    Irmen de Jong <> writes:

    > Alexander DEJANOVSKI wrote:
    >
    > > I'm starting a new project to develop an Open-Source EAI server in Python
    > > and I'm looking for motivated developpers and testers.
    > > It is inspired by Open Adaptor (_www.openadaptor.org_
    > > <http://www.openadaptor.org/>), but aims to be easier
    > > to use and more powerful.

    > Could you please summarize what the goals of this project are?
    > And how it relates to Open Adaptor? (which I don't have the time
    > to read about).

    And how it relates to Twisted?

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Alexander DEJANOVSKI wrote:

    > I'm starting a new project to develop an Open-Source EAI server in Python
    > and I'm looking for motivated developpers and testers.
    > It is inspired by Open Adaptor (_www.openadaptor.org_
    > <http://www.openadaptor.org/>), but aims to be easier
    > to use and more powerful.

    I'd be willing to contribute to the LDAP-related parts.

    Ciao, Michael.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Str=F6der?=, Aug 4, 2003
  5. OK, I might not have explain very much of how it works.

    It is an Open Adaptor-like program. The fact is that I needed a soft like
    OpenAd but I'm pretty deceived by it (too complicated, never gives what I'm
    waiting for on the other side of the adaptor).

    Like Open Ad, Retic (that's the name of my project), provides components
    (sources, pipes and sinks) that can be combined in many ways in order to
    retrieve data (from a source) apply changes or transformations (with pipes)
    and send it to several destinations (to sinks).
    This is driven by config files in XML that contains all components and their
    attributes.
    All parent component sends its data (after processing it) to all of its
    child element.
    So you can have trees that look like that :

    source

    |_____pipe1
    | |
    | |_____pipe2
    | | |____sink1
    | |
    | |
    | |_____sink2

    |_____sink3

    The main program is called with the config file name as argument, which
    starts the adaptor.
    When started, it will look for data in the source (for example, a fileSource
    has a filePath and a fileFilter arguments, that permit to look for files
    matching fileFilter - for ex : a*.txt - in the filePath directory).
    If there is nothing to process, the adaptor will wait for some time
    (provided in the conf file) before polling again, unless the config file
    says that just one poll was wanted (you can specify how many polls you
    want).

    I call it EAI server since it should permit apps that don't communicate the
    same way to work together, using adaptor to translate data or switch
    transport protocol.

    Hope that helps (about twisted too...)

    Project has been approved by sourceforge so I've just uploaded sources to
    CVS today (www.sourceforge.net/projects/retic) so feel free to get it and
    take a look.
    To launch it, use start.py. It will use the config file test_adaptor.xml.
    Required are :

    Python 2.3
    4suite 1.0a3
    and PyXML 0.8.3