    changed when i plugged in devices...(i am no good with the usb
    standards)....i just want to identify each device/port... what
    parameter in the example would help me....
    Omer Ihsan, Mar 21, 2010

  2. Omer Ihsan

    Omer Ihsan Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:22 am, Tim Roberts <> wrote:
    > Omer Ihsan <> wrote:
    >
    > >i have installed pyusb now and run the sample usbenum.py....i have 3
    > >usb ports on my PC but the results show 6 outputs to
    > >dev.filename..they are numbers like 001 or 005 etc.... and they
    > >changed when i plugged in devices...(i am no good with the usb
    > >standards)....i just want to identify each device/port... what
    > >parameter in the example would help me....

    > You can't identify the ports.[1]  What good would it do you?  The ports on
    > your PC are not numbered.
    >
    > You certainly CAN identify the devices, by their VID and PID (or idVendor
    > and idProduct).  You identify by function, not by location.  When you plug
    > in a USB drive, you don't want to worry about where it's plugged in.
    > ===
    > [1]: OK, technically, it is not impossible to identify the port numbers,
    > but it is quite tedious.  You need to chase through the sysfs expansion of
    > your buses hub/port tree and find a match for your device.  It's not worth
    > the trouble.
    > --
    > Tim Roberts,
    > Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

    VID and PID is fair enough. now what i want is that i have a threaded
    code that threads two functions to run at the same time. i want each
    function to run seperate devices. the problem is if it doesnt identify
    the attached devices it might run the code on a single device which
    isnt what is required.
    how will i be able to run a code on a device of my choice???....you
    can leave away the threading part for now.
    Omer Ihsan, Mar 23, 2010