Device Updates for ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Nadav Popplewell, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. Does anybody know if Microsoft is going to release device updates for ASP.NET
    2.0?

    And if not, is there any place we can get .browser files for new mobile
    phones?

    Thanks,
    Nadav
    Nadav Popplewell, Feb 5, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 5 feb, 09:52, Nadav Popplewell <> wrote:
    > Does anybody know if Microsoft is going to release device updates for ASP.NET
    > 2.0?
    >
    > And if not, is there any place we can get .browser files for new mobile
    > phones?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nadav


    Nadav, check out this discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.mobile/browse_frm/thread/
    9ffa973a7282e7dd?hl=nl
    Peter van Rees, Feb 5, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hello Nadav,

    I have used to help contact some product team guys but haven't got any
    update on the device udpate on ASP.NET MOBILE 2.0. I'll perform some
    further query to the ASP.NET mobile device update team to see whether there
    is any update information.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 5, 2007
    #3
  4. Nadav Popplewell

    Aaron Guest

    On Feb 5, 5:33 am, (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    wrote:
    > Hello Nadav,
    >
    > I have used to help contact some product team guys but haven't got any
    > update on the device udpate on ASP.NET MOBILE 2.0. I'll perform some
    > further query to the ASP.NET mobile device update team to see whether there
    > is any update information.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Steven Cheng
    >
    > Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


    That would be fantastic. I've exhausted all of my resources trying to
    get the same answer. Please keep us posted! This is the number one
    drawback of MOBILE 2.0 if you ask me. I am considering changing
    platforms because I fear what the support will be in a year or two.

    I anxiously await your findings.
    Aaron, Feb 5, 2007
    #4
  5. Thanks for your input Aaron,

    Yes, I've also noticed that the devcie list on ASP.NET official site has
    been idle for years without any update. Sure, I'll try best to query
    information on this and will keep you getting the latest update on this
    here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lea



    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 6, 2007
    #5
  6. Hello Nadav,

    I just got confirm from the ASP.NET UI framwork team's dev engineer.
    Unfortunately, currently there is no plan for shipping out new devices
    update for new mobile devices. Actually, the entire support strategry of
    ASP.NET Mobile application has changed due to certain non-technical
    reasons(such as adoption in the market and the opportunities for other ISV
    partners).

    For Mobile application development, start from ASP.NET 2.0, it will
    provider a flexible (adapter based) rendering mechaism that can let
    developer provide controls that can correctly render different output
    according to different client platform. Microsoft won't frequently provide
    entire work on release new mobile control set(like the MMIT).

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 8, 2007
    #6
  7. Nadav Popplewell

    Aaron Guest

    On Feb 8, 7:02 am, (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
    wrote:
    > Hello Nadav,
    >
    > I just got confirm from the ASP.NET UI framwork team's dev engineer.
    > Unfortunately, currently there is no plan for shipping out new devices
    > update for new mobile devices. Actually, the entire support strategry of
    > ASP.NET Mobile application has changed due to certain non-technical
    > reasons(such as adoption in the market and the opportunities for other ISV
    > partners).
    >
    > For Mobile application development, start from ASP.NET 2.0, it will
    > provider a flexible (adapter based) rendering mechaism that can let
    > developer provide controls that can correctly render different output
    > according to different client platform. Microsoft won't frequently provide
    > entire work on release new mobile control set(like the MMIT).
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Steven Cheng
    >
    > Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


    Yeah, that's the same thing I've been told at every turn also. What
    they don't tell you is that without updates you can't even tell the
    client platform to be able to correctly render different output. It
    looks like they just aren't interested in the mobile framework any
    longer. I guess I will have to change platforms. Too bad really,
    this is the first time the framework fell short.

    This is not a good sign for Mobile Dev in .Net.

    Steven, thank you very much for taking the time to find an answer. It
    is unfortunate it is the same line they are feeding everyone.
    Aaron, Feb 8, 2007
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. GrantMagic
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    327
    GrantMagic
    Sep 15, 2004
  2. nishadixit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,241
    Joe Discar
    Jun 1, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    420
    santosh
    Nov 27, 2006
  4. Matt
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    462
  5. Nadav Popplewell

    ASP.NET 2.0 Mobile Controls Device Updates

    Nadav Popplewell, Jul 23, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net Mobile
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    932
    Steven Cheng[MSFT]
    Jul 24, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page