++ devils

Richard Heathfield

Nick Keighley said:
so Alogol-68 was uninteresting...

Since I've only just heard of it, after its (presumably) 38 years in the
field, I guess it can't have been all that earth-shattering. :)

Richard Tobin

so Alogol-68 was uninteresting...
[/QUOTE]
Since I've only just heard of it, after its (presumably) 38 years in the
field, I guess it can't have been all that earth-shattering. :)

Though it was not as widely-used as it might have been, and its more
obvious innovations have not all been successful (the two-level
grammar in particular), it has had a wide-ranging influence on later
programming languages. In particular, C's type system clearly owes a
lot to Algol-68.

-- Richard

Chris Dollin

Since I've only just heard of it, after its (presumably) 38 years in the
field, I guess it can't have been all that earth-shattering. :)

Though it was not as widely-used as it might have been, and its more
obvious innovations have not all been successful (the two-level
grammar in particular), it has had a wide-ranging influence on later
programming languages. In particular, C's type system clearly owes a
lot to Algol-68.[/QUOTE]

Rather than, say, Pascal, or Algol W, or Hoare's section of /Structured
Programming/?

Richard Heathfield

Richard Tobin said:
Since I've only just heard of it, after its (presumably) 38 years in the
field, I guess it can't have been all that earth-shattering. :)

Though it was not as widely-used as it might have been, and its more
obvious innovations have not all been successful (the two-level
grammar in particular), it has had a wide-ranging influence on later
programming languages. In particular, C's type system clearly owes a
lot to Algol-68.[/QUOTE]

I had heard of Algol-68. What I had not heard of was Alogol-68. I first
presumed that the one was a typo for the other but, if that were the case,
then two people had made the same typo, which seemed unlikely. A quick
Google search revealed sufficient hits to suggest that it might be a
separate language (although I didn't read the hits terribly closely). If
so, though, it was certainly one of which I had never heard.

pete

Richard Heathfield wrote:
I had heard of Algol-68. What I had not heard of was Alogol-68.
I first presumed that the one was a typo for the other but,
if that were the case,
then two people had made the same typo, which seemed unlikely.

I frequently copy words from posts that I reply to.
A quick Google search revealed sufficient hits to suggest
that it might be a separate language
(although I didn't read the hits terribly closely).

Results 1 - 10 of about 76 for Alogol-68
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,600 for teh enb

Teh enb.

Richard Heathfield

pete said:
I frequently copy words from posts that I reply to.

Results 1 - 10 of about 76 for Alogol-68
Results 1 - 10 of about 17,600 for teh enb

Teh enb.

Yeah, fair point. My reasoning was as follows:

(1) it's probably a typo.
(2) hang on - what if it isn't? I'll look a right idiot for assuming it is.
(3) okay, quick Google search
(4) weird - it does appear to exist after all (I actually searched on
"Alogol" and got over 300 hits)
(5) post
(6) step (2) suddenly doesn't look so smart :)

Chris Dollin

Chris said:
Rather than, say, Pascal, or Algol W, or Hoare's section of /Structured
Programming/?

OK, I've followed pete's link, and DMR explicitly credits A68 with the
motivation for the type structure of C.

pete

Richard said:
pete said:

Yeah, fair point. My reasoning was as follows:

(1) it's probably a typo.
(2) hang on - what if it isn't?
I'll look a right idiot for assuming it is.
(3) okay, quick Google search
(4) weird - it does appear to exist after all (I actually searched on
"Alogol" and got over 300 hits)
(5) post
(6) step (2) suddenly doesn't look so smart :)

In my opinion, pretending not to understand,
seems to be one of your ways
of protesting perceived defficiencies of clarity of expression.

Richard Heathfield

pete said:
In my opinion, pretending not to understand,
seems to be one of your ways
of protesting perceived defficiencies of clarity of expression.

I don't know what you mean!

:)

Disingenuous replies are indeed part of my stock-in-trade. On this occasion,
however, it was genuine ignorance. Straight up, guv!

pete

Richard Heathfield wrote:
Disingenuous replies are indeed part of my stock-in-trade.
On this occasion,
however, it was genuine ignorance. Straight up, guv!

"Alogol-68" ?!!!!!!

Nobody else even noticed that it was misspelled!

Dik T. Winter

> Richard Tobin said: ....
>
> I had heard of Algol-68. What I had not heard of was Alogol-68. I first
> presumed that the one was a typo for the other but, if that were the case,
> then two people had made the same typo, which seemed unlikely.

It appears that was indeed the case.
> A quick
> Google search revealed sufficient hits to suggest that it might be a
> separate language (although I didn't read the hits terribly closely).

I have looked on quite a few on those pages, and in *all* cases it was a
typo (ALOGOL 60, ALOGOL W, ALOGOL 68...).

pete

Richard said:
pete said:

I don't know what you mean!

:)

Disingenuous replies are indeed part of my stock-in-trade.

So is sticking to your story.
I almost forgot that. :)

Old Wolf

pete said:
In my opinion, pretending not to understand, seems to be
one of your ways of protesting perceived defficiencies of
clarity of expression.

My friend coined a word for this, a few years back:
"willencuthery" (noun). In fact it applies to any situation
of pretending not to understand (eg: Why are you left-
shifting cout?)

Joe Smith

Old Wolf said:
My friend coined a word for this, a few years back:
"willencuthery" (noun). In fact it applies to any situation
of pretending not to understand (eg: Why are you left-
shifting cout?)
I would claim that willencuthery has many sources. One topical version of
it elicits comment. Another highlights what we don't understand ...yet.
joe

jjf

This is a behavior observed in MSVC and this is predictable. The
compiler is going to give me the same result whenever I execute this
code. This is predictable. What do you mean by undefined when I am able
to define it. Do not write such irresponsible mails based on your
limitations and based on loose statements like "undefined". I do not
care what is undefined as long as it works the way it is expected to
for a specific compiler.

Then please provide your full name so I can be sure never to employ
you.
I encourage people to investigate this
behavior further and disseminate and find applications for such
expressions. I reiterate pls. do not write such replies.

I encourage people not to waste their time in such a useless and
nonsensical manner. Spend the time learning to write correct C.