DevX: "Processing EDI Documents into XML with Python"

Discussion in 'Python' started by Claudio Grondi, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. "You don't have to rely on expensive and proprietary EDI conversion software
    to parse, validate, and translate EDI X12 data to and from XML; you can
    build your own translator with any modern programming language, such as
    Python."

    by Jeremy Jones
    http://www.devx.com/enterprise/Article/26854

    Excerpt:
    "Python is an object-oriented, byte-compiled language with a clean
    syntax, clear and consistent philosophy, and a strong user community. These
    attributes (both of the language and the community) make it possible to
    quickly write working, maintainable code, which in turn makes Python an
    excellent choice for nearly any programming task. Processing any "flavor" of
    EDI is no exception."

    Hi,
    just wanted to share with you, that the last issue
    of the DevX newsletter comes with a Python related
    article as first item in the list of subjects.

    Claudio
    Claudio Grondi, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Claudio Grondi

    Jeremy Jones Guest

    Claudio Grondi wrote:

    >"You don't have to rely on expensive and proprietary EDI conversion software
    >to parse, validate, and translate EDI X12 data to and from XML; you can
    >build your own translator with any modern programming language, such as
    >Python."
    >
    > by Jeremy Jones
    > http://www.devx.com/enterprise/Article/26854
    >
    > Excerpt:
    > "Python is an object-oriented, byte-compiled language with a clean
    >syntax, clear and consistent philosophy, and a strong user community. These
    >attributes (both of the language and the community) make it possible to
    >quickly write working, maintainable code, which in turn makes Python an
    >excellent choice for nearly any programming task. Processing any "flavor" of
    >EDI is no exception."
    >

    >Hi,
    >just wanted to share with you, that the last issue
    >of the DevX newsletter comes with a Python related
    >article as first item in the list of subjects.
    >
    >Claudio

    Anyone interested in processing EDI with Python will probably be
    interested in giving it a read. Please feel free to scrutinize the code
    mercilessly. I plan on creating a project on Sourceforge with the code
    that is attached to that article (and hopefully with modifications
    coming from user input in the ensuing months). Comments are greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks for posting this, Claudio.

    Jeremy Jones
    Jeremy Jones, Jan 21, 2005

  3. There has already been some work in this area - although for X12
    transactions for the healthcare industry. Its on sourceforge already and
    best of all the development language is Python:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyx12/

    thanks,
    Satchit

    ----
    Satchidanand Haridas (sharidas at zeomega dot com)

    ZeOmega (www.zeomega.com)
    Open Minds' Open Solutions

    #20,Rajalakshmi Plaza,
    South End Road,