DFW Pythoneers Meeting THIS Saturday

Jeff Rush

This Saturday we'll be holding our 4th Saturday meeting of the DFW Pythoneers,
at the usual location of Nerdbooks.com bookstore in Richardson. For
directions, visit the Nerdbooks.com website. We start at 2pm and run until
5pm, and then go out for a group dinner.

At this meeting one of our local members, Jeremy Dunck, will be giving us a
preview of a 60-minute advanced Django tutorial he is helping to give at OSCON
next month. The advanced material will cover the unicode branch, signals and
either stateful views or gis branch.

Since many of our members are not experienced with Django, Jeremy will present
a 45-minute introduction to Django first, which will cover URLConf, views,
models and perhaps middleware.

---

By the way, I've been contacted by a developer at the Travelocity Dallas
office, who is looking for local Python developers with experience in Django
or Genshi. If you're interested, let me know and I can put you in touch.

---

And just to give a heads-up for July, our own Patrick R. Michaud has agreed to
give our group a presentation on the status of support for Python in the
virtual machine, Parrot, underlying Perl 6 and many other languages. For more
info, check out:

http://www.parrotcode.org

Patrick will present to us on the 2nd Saturday of July, the 14th. Patrick is
the author of PGE, the parrot/Perl6 Grammar engine and is also the Perl 6
compiler pumpking.

See you there!

Jeff Rush
DFW Pythoneers Organizer

peter

Just a tad arrogant, don't you think, to put a notice of some local
event on an international forum without saying where it is?

Michael Hoffman

peter said:
Just a tad arrogant, don't you think, to put a notice of some local
event on an international forum without saying where it is?

It says right in the subject line! DFW. If you don't know what DFW
means, then it's probably not your local area.

Michael Hoffman

peter said:
Precisely

Precisely what? You complained that the OP didn't provide the location
of the event, which he did.

You also resorted to needless name-calling as a result of your mistake,
which I don't think enhances the usefulness of this forum. What exactly
are you trying to achieve?

Diez B. Roggisch

Joe said:
Well, where is DFW?

Google, first hit:

The Dallas Ft. Worth Pythoneers

They even have their own website. So - what's the fuss about? The BayPIGgies
also announce their meetings here. I don't mind, even though Berlin is
about 10-12 hours away on a jet-plane.

diez

Cameron Laird

Google, first hit:

The Dallas Ft. Worth Pythoneers

They even have their own website. So - what's the fuss about? The BayPIGgies
also announce their meetings here. I don't mind, even though Berlin is
about 10-12 hours away on a jet-plane.
.
.
.
The upset surprises me, too. I appreciate people who esteem Usenet
enough to help "police" specific newsgroups, discouraging traffic in
marginal content best handled elsewhere. On the other hand,
comp.lang.python has a tradition of productive announcements of local
events, "DFW" is both *very* meaningful to the target audience, and,
as noted, 'bout as easy to decipher with the help of Google as
anything can be.

Beyond all that, there's particular value in announcements like this
because they *are* of regional, rather than local, significance. By
that I mean I know of several cases where Pythoneers from somewhere
else in the US (or even, in a couple of cases, other countries) have
been traveling, and found it possible to schedule a visit with a local
interest group. That's neat! Dallas gets a lot of traffic because
it's an airline hub, and close moreover to fellow computing-industry
centers in Austin and Houston (and, to a lesser extent, San Antonio
and El Paso).

Looney, James B

Short answer:
DFW = Dallas-Fort Worth

Longer answer:
I'm not pointing fingers or making opinions, I just wanted to point out
that after reading Jeff's original email (in its entirity), I found:

Jeff wrote:
at the usual location of Nerdbooks.com bookstore in Richardson. For
</snip>
So, after looking at Nerdbooks.com, they're in Richardson, TX.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1681+Firman+Drive,+richardson,+t
x&sll=37.0625,-95.677071&sspn=31.371289,59.765625&ie=UTF8&ll=32.876127,-
96.792297&spn=0.259504,0.466919&z=11&om=1

By the way, I've been contacted by a developer at the Travelocity Dallas
office, who is looking for local Python developers with experience in Django
or Genshi. If you're interested, let me know and I can put you in
touch.
</snip>
Otherwise, after reading to this point in his email (and not knowing
what DFW was), I'd guess that they're near Dallas.

peter

OK. Not my intention to start a flame war, but as DFW did not mean a
thing to me (other than being my late father in law's initials) I was
a bit peeved about the assumption that everybody would understand it.
I think posts which are essentially local should make this clear to
all in the title.

I hope the meeting goes well.