    My control simply wraps a datagrid and output data as an html table, with
    CSS data inside.

    Thanks
    Trapulo, Sep 17, 2007

  2. Hello Trapulo,

    From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you want to know how to
    export Gridview to Excel and show all the integer fields as Text format in
    the spreadsheet. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

    As you know, if we want to convert an integer Cell of Excel into Text, we
    should add a quote before the string: "'". For instance,
    Sheet1.Cells(2,2) = "'123123" 'Note the ' before 123123
    When we view the Html format of this spreadsheet (Save the spreadsheet as
    Html), the html tag for the cell (2, 2) is:
    The namespace x is defined in the header of the html file:
    xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:excel"
    Therefore, in order to export GridView and show all the interger fields as
    Text format, we need to add the x:str attribute to <td> tag of table.
    The blog page: http://jasonhaley.com/blog/archive/2004/03/20/9583.aspx
    shows an example for your reference. Please have a try and let me know the
    result. If you have any other concern or need anything else, please feel
    free to let me know.

    Sincerely,
    Jialiang Ge (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    ications. If you are using Outlook Express/Windows Mail, please make sure
    you clear the check box "Tools/Options/Read: Get 300 headers at a time" to
    see your reply promptly.

    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Sep 18, 2007

  3. Trapulo

    Trapulo Guest

    That's very good, thanks!

    I've inserted the xmlns into html head, but I've some problem inserting
    x:str attribute in TD tag. I'll explain:
    after I've created an htmlWriter and I wrote html, head, body, etc. tags, I
    call
    _gridview.RenderControl(htmlWriter)

    to render the html table. This is very useful, because I can mantain ASP.NET
    structure, and also use gridview events to manage output data. I don't know
    I can insert the x:str attribute in code rendered by gridview or datagrid.
    Can you help me?

    thanks

    Trapulo, Sep 18, 2007
  4. Hello Trapulo,

    It seems that you are not rendering the table yourself as the blog
    mentioned. A quick resolution I can think of is to replace all the "<td"
    with "<td x:str=\"'\"" in the html string rendered from your gridview.
    Please have a try and I will do further researches to see whether there is
    better ways to do it.

    Sincerely,
    Jialiang Ge (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Sep 18, 2007
  5. Hello Trapulo,

    I find a few more methods to add the x:str="'***" into the table cells.
    Below is a summary of the solution.

    Step1. Prepare the html header of export excel yourself. (NOTE: do not let
    Excel itself automatically add the header, otherwise, the namespace in your
    html would be replace)
    String header = "<html xmlns:eek:=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice\"
    xmlns:x=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:excel\"
    xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40\"> <head> <meta
    http-equiv=Content-Type content=\"text/html; charset=windows-1252\"> <meta
    name=ProgId content=Excel.Sheet> <meta name=Generator content=\"Microsoft
    Excel 11\"> <style id=\"STI_5961_Styles\"><!--table
    {mso-displayed-decimal-separator:\"\\.\";
    mso-displayed-thousand-separator:\"\\,\";}.xlGeneral {padding-top:1px;
    padding-right:1px; padding-left:1px; mso-ignore:padding; color:windowtext;
    font-size:10.0pt; font-weight:400; font-style:normal; text-decoration:none;
    font-family:Arial; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-charset:0;
    mso-number-format:General; text-align:general; vertical-align:bottom;
    mso-background-source:auto; mso-pattern:auto; white-space:nowrap;}

    Step2. Prepare the Response object
    Response.Clear();
    Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment;filename=test.xls");
    Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.xls";

    Step3. Render the GridView
    Now that you are using gridView.RenderControl(htmlTextWriter); to get it
    html string, in order to add x:str="'***" into the table cells, here are
    two approaches for your reference:

    Approach 1. Add the attribute "x:str" to each cell of GridView before it's
    rendered.
    foreach (GridViewRow row in view.Rows) {
    if (row.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) {
    foreach (TableCell cell in row.Cells) {
    if (int.TryParse(cell.Text)) {
    cell.Attributes.Add("x:str", "'" + cell.Text);
    }}}}

    Approach 2. Get the GridView's html first, then add the x:str into <td>
    cells with Regex
    Suppose the string htmlStr point to the render result of GridView. We could
    use the regex:
    to capture all the table cells with integer value. The group
    (?<intValue\d*) refers to the int value, and the group
    <tdAttributes>[^>]*?) is the original td attributes. We add a
    MatchEvaluator function for the regex's Relace method:
    public string replaceFunction(Match m)
    {
    String intValue = m.Groups["IntValue"].Value;
    String tdAttributes = m.Groups["tdAttributes"].Value;
    return "<td " + tdAttributes + " x:str=\"'" + intValue + "\">" + intValue +
    "</td>";
    }

    Step4.
    Response.Write(the html result string);
    Response.End();

    The methods above works well in my side. Please have a try and let me know

    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Sep 19, 2007
  6. Trapulo

    Trapulo Guest

    Thank you a lot!

    I've implemented your approach 1 and it seems working.
    I've tried approach 2 with datagrid (I support both datagrid and gridviews
    because my library is born in net 1.0 era), but it doesn't work for me (it
    seems all TD as unchanged). However this is not a problem: I upgraded the
    page using a gridview, and removing the old datagrid, and it's all ok.

    Thanks

    p.s. if you are interested in, I've tried to implent the approach 2 as:
    Dim prova As String = stringWriter.ToString

    prova = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(prova, "<td
    (?<tdAttributes>[^>]*?)>(?<IntValue>\d*)</td>", New
    Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator(AddressOf RegExIntCellEvaluator))

    CurrentPage.Response.Write(prova)

    and then

    Private Function RegExIntCellEvaluator(ByVal m As
    System.Text.RegularExpressions.Match) As String

    Dim intValue As String = m.Groups("IntValue").Value

    Dim tdAttributes As String = m.Groups("tdAttributes").Value

    Dim value As Int32

    If Int32.TryParse(intValue, value) Then

    Return "<td " & tdAttributes & " x:str=""'" + intValue + """ > " & intValue
    & "</td>"

    Else

    Return "<td> " & intValue & "</td>"

    End If

    End Function

    Trapulo, Sep 19, 2007
  7. Hello Trapulo,

    There is an error in my regex of approach 2. If there is no attributes
    integers cells.
    Please remove the space after '<td', change \d* to \d+ and try it again:
    Sorry for the inconveniences.

    In the meantime, I notice that you use Int32.TryParse(intValue) to check if
    the intValue is an integer. The regex (?<IntValue>\d+) ensures IntValue is
    not an empty string and is composed of digials, therefore, we could
    directly return "<td " & tdAttributes & " x:str=""'" + intValue + """ > " &
    intValue & "</td>" in the end of RegExIntCellEvaluator function.

    Jialiang Ge [MSFT], Sep 20, 2007
  8. Trapulo

    Trapulo Guest

    > Hello Trapulo,
    >
    > There is an error in my regex of approach 2. If there is no attributes
    > integers cells.
    > Please remove the space after '<td', change \d* to \d+ and try it again:
    > Sorry for the inconveniences.

    Thank you, this works

    > In the meantime, I notice that you use Int32.TryParse(intValue) to check
    > if
    > the intValue is an integer. The regex (?<IntValue>\d+) ensures IntValue is
    > not an empty string and is composed of digials, therefore, we could
    > directly return "<td " & tdAttributes & " x:str=""'" + intValue + """ > "
    > &
    > intValue & "</td>" in the end of RegExIntCellEvaluator function.

    You are right. I forgot that the call is made only when value before passes
    regex pattern test.

    Thank you
    Trapulo, Sep 24, 2007
  9. Trapulo

    Julie W. Guest

    Excel cell format to Text

    I tried all the suggestions provided here and it still doesn't work. I use Excel 2007 to test if that is of any help.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Julie W., Sep 28, 2007
  10. Trapulo

    Alex Meleta Guest