dh, the daemon helper

John Kelly

if you don't give a damn about whether dh is topical

dh is topical. It's written in C. Some unhappy people gripe. So what.
Unhappy people always gripe. That's what they do.

What is it about people like you

Feel free to keep griping, with the subject line daemon helper. There's
no such thing as bad publicity.

BTW, there's a new version out. Due to popular request, the daemon
helper now has a command line option -E to keep the user environment,
making it easy to start batch jobs from the command line.

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

John Kelly

The topic of this group is not "programs which happen to have been implemented
in C" but "C programming".

Ah, the topic police. I must say, sir, the daemon helper did not just
happen to be written in C. I did it intentionally.

If you can't grasp this distinction, I think it safe to assume that your code
is pretty poor too, and that anything you are advertising this way is probably
of negative value.

Believe whatever you like. There's no such thing as bad publicity. How
many times do I have to tell you.

Seebs

Ah, the topic police.
Ayup.

I must say, sir, the daemon helper did not just
happen to be written in C. I did it intentionally.

Doesn't matter.

You have nothing to say about C programming. You aren't talking about, or
asking about, anything to do with the C language.

Your program is in C, but so what? We could change C arbitrarily, and you
could write your program in C.

Unless you're discussing actual C code, as opposed to the outward form of
the program, you're not talking about C. Indeed, the fact that you've
posted the same spam to a python newsgroups gives us a good sense of
how related the language is to your ad.
Believe whatever you like. There's no such thing as bad publicity. How
many times do I have to tell you.

No number of times telling us this will change anything. There is indeed
such a thing as bad publicity.

As expected, your code is crap. It's a bunch of cargo-cult newbie mistakes
wrapped around a total misunderstanding of what a daemon *is*.

-s

Seebs

Peter, you baaaaaaaaaaaaastard!!!! :) Now I'm going to have to
look at it!

It's not even close to the worst I've ever seen, but...

If I needed one of these, it would take five or ten minutes to write one
that would be more correct. Less on a BSD system ('man 3 daemon').

No shame in writing stuff like this, I probably have one lying around
somewhere too. It's just that advertising it like this is ridiculous.
(Especially when it looks like it's also been posted in comp.lang.awk
and comp.lang.perl.) I don't know what the intent of the advertising
is; is there some kind of expectation that people would USE this?

-s

Phil Carmody

Seebs said:
As expected, your code is crap. It's a bunch of cargo-cult newbie mistakes
wrapped around a total misunderstanding of what a daemon *is*.

Peter, you baaaaaaaaaaaaastard!!!! :) Now I'm going to have to
look at it!

Phil

Chris M. Thomasson

Chris M. Thomasson said:
[...]
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Oh, yes there is.

[...]

http://www.ktvu.com/news/20581022/detail.html

Would you consider this to be "good" publicity if you tried to put yourself
in the shoes of the scum bag rapist? My cousin went to school with the
victim. Trust me, there IS such a thing as bad
publicity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it?

Chris M. Thomasson

Chris M. Thomasson said:
Chris M. Thomasson said:
[...]
There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Oh, yes there is.

[...]

http://www.ktvu.com/news/20581022/detail.html

Would you consider this to be "good" publicity if you tried to put
yourself in the shoes of the scum bag rapist? My cousin went to school
with the victim. Trust me, there IS such a thing as bad
publicity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it?

I can see it now... The rapist is out on the yard, and a couple of inmates
come up to him and say something like:

"Hey! We read all about you! Now, we are going to rape, torture and slowly
kill you!". In the point of view of the rapist, well, he is not going to be
a happy camper. The point of view is an essential aspect to consider before
you write ignorant statements like:

"There's no such thing as bad publicity"

Please take that into account.

John Kelly

Unless you're discussing actual C code, as opposed to the outward form of
the program, you're not talking about C.

If you have actual code criticism or bug reports, post or email them.
My real email address is in this post. I'm not afraid to discuss the
code, even if it has newbie mistakes. It's not insufferable to be
embarrassed on Usenet. What's the worst you can you do, get me fired
from my job? They don't care what you think. Imagine that.

As expected, your code is crap. It's a bunch of cargo-cult newbie mistakes
wrapped around a total misunderstanding of what a daemon *is*.

I'm ready to investigate code criticism. Go for it. Or is it more fun
contradicting yourself?

Seebs

If you have actual code criticism or bug reports, post or email them.

Why?

You're not interested in discussing C programming, you're just advertising.
My real email address is in this post. I'm not afraid to discuss the
code, even if it has newbie mistakes.

But you're not interested in doing so; you're just spamming for "publicity".
It's not insufferable to be
embarrassed on Usenet. What's the worst you can you do, get me fired
from my job? They don't care what you think. Imagine that.

I'm sure they don't. I'm sure you don't either. Looking at your code,
and your attitude on Usenet, I'm pretty sure you don't care much what anyone
thinks, at which point, you're presumably ineducable.
I'm ready to investigate code criticism. Go for it. Or is it more fun
contradicting yourself?

Having seen you respond to valid, well-considered, criticism from people who
are legitimately experts in one field, I have no interest in repeating the
experiment in other fields.

-s

John Kelly

The flamers are no more righteous than I am.

Peter, you baaaaaaaaaaaaastard!!!! :) Now I'm going to have to
look at it!

One user privately report a security bug, which is fixed in the latest
version: 09/07/2009 11:11AM.

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

If you believe discussing C code improves the topicality of this thread,
then what are you waiting for, it's freely available for download. Do I
have to post the whole thing?

John Kelly

are legitimately experts in one field, I have no interest in repeating the
experiment in other fields.

Believe whatever you like.

But if you don't post specific code criticism, you're just posturing.
Are you afraid I'll hurt your critic's feelings?

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

Seebs

The flamers are no more righteous than I am.

Actually, they are. They're trying to preserve the value of a discussion
medium. You're trying to swamp it with marketing for crap.
If you believe discussing C code improves the topicality of this thread,
then what are you waiting for,

Someone to discuss it with.

If you don't care whether or not your posts are topical (and the posts
to comp.lang.ruby prove that they're not topical, and that the language is
irrelevant to the choice of newsgroups), there is no reason to assume you
have any interest in any kind of information.

Oh, this is rich:

"dh is its name; a natural companion to sh."

No, it's not a natural companion to sh. It's a useless program which is
badly written and advertised by spam because you're unwilling or unable to
learn from people giving you correct and useful advice. You want "publicity"
for this crap, but why? It's not USEFUL. No one needs this. If they did,
they'd need one that was implemented by someone who understood what he was
doing. You can't be that person, because you refuse to accept information
contrary to your ego needs.

-s

Seebs

Believe whatever you like.

I'll believe whatever I have evidence for.
But if you don't post specific code criticism, you're just posturing.

I posted criticisms which anyone can easily confirm with a quick look at the
code.
Are you afraid I'll hurt your critic's feelings?

No. The critic is me, and you can't hurt my feelings. (Known limitation,
no workarounds available at this time.)

-s

Seebs

You didn't discuss the code itself.

Why should I? You aren't interested. The program's completely useless to
me or anyone else. Even if you fixed it so it wasn't insultingly stupid,
who cares? I have three of those already. I don't need another one of
these. You could write a bad text editor and it'd be more useful to more
people.
You only threw stones. You're more off topic than I am.

No, because a discussion of what's topical for a group is always topical.

WARNING: This software has recently been confirmed to contain at least
one dangerous security hole. The author refuses to accept valid criticisms,
and is probably ineducable.
ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

You still haven't offered, at any point, any explanation of what you
think you are accomplishing. Do you have any kind of external input that
you're responding to, or is this all just your ego making it seem important
to you that you spam this link?

-s

John Kelly

I posted criticisms which anyone can easily confirm with a quick look at the
code.

You didn't discuss the code itself. You only threw stones. You're more
off topic than I am.

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

Coos Haak

Op Fri, 11 Sep 2009 04:24:03 +0000 schreef John Kelly:
dh is topical. It's written in C. Some unhappy people gripe. So what.
Unhappy people always gripe. That's what they do.
Put yourself at the blackboard, and write hunderd times:
There are a lot of programs written in C. They're not on topic in
c.l.c
There are a lot of programs written in Lisp. They're not on topic in
c.l.l
There are a lot of programs written in Fortran. They're not on topic
in c.l.f
Etcetera.

user923005

I fixed that bug.

False.  You're just trolling.

<plonk>

John Kelly, usenet newbie, plonks Peter Seebach in news comp.lang.c
and calls him a troll.

I guess that you have no idea how funny that is.

#include <stdio.h>
static const char *proverb = "Just remember that the wise,"
" delicate palatte of the dung beetle is only matched by t"
"he majestic grace of the squirrel.";
int main(void)
{puts(proverb);return 0;}

You think my post isn't topical?!
Look, there's C in it!
And (I am guessing here) MS IE was written with either C or C++, and
both of those call the C standard library!
So the tool I am using to post this is topical too!
Further, these usenet posts will be salted away in an archive. That
archive *could* be using PostgreSQL, and PostgreSQL was written
exclusively in C!
So everything is topical, even topical analgesics. Probably even
tropical analgesics.

When I read the IAQ, I got whiter teeth and fresher breath.
IMO-YMMV (In my opinion, your Marmot may vary).

Kenny McCormack

It's well designed. I can see your true colors now.

I'm not looking for a trolling party of neophyte critics.

But if you had been, you'd certainly have come to the right place!