DHTML-based Pop-Up Window Script?

Terry

Hi,

I like the DHTML-based pop-up window script made available by this
company. However, their script only works under the quirk mode for IE 6
and Firefox.

http://www.ferant.com

I wonder if there are other similar DHTML-based scripts that can do the
same but is not limited to the quirk mode for IE 6.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

kaeli

Hi,

I like the DHTML-based pop-up window script made available by this
company. However, their script only works under the quirk mode for IE 6
and Firefox.

http://www.ferant.com

"A dragable layer that can be used like a popup, but it is user friendly,
powerful, immune from popup killers, and robust enough to earn the rating of
"Recommended"."

I HATE these with an undying passion. They aren't "user friendly". They're
"user irritating".

Adverts that I am forced to endure b/c my popup blocker won't block them.
Makes me disable script for the site or just stop visiting altogether.
Think twice before you employ such tactics for advertizing. It can easily
drive away visitors.

I could fix it, but I won't. Some idiot will just use it to irritate yet more
people.

~kaeli~
Experience is something you don't get until just after you
need it.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Terry

"A dragable layer that can be used like a popup, but it is user friendly,
powerful, immune from popup killers, and robust enough to earn the rating of
"Recommended"."

I HATE these with an undying passion. They aren't "user friendly". They're
"user irritating".

Adverts that I am forced to endure b/c my popup blocker won't block them.
Makes me disable script for the site or just stop visiting altogether.
Think twice before you employ such tactics for advertizing. It can easily
drive away visitors.

I could fix it, but I won't. Some idiot will just use it to irritate yet more
people.

Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

Terry

Randy Webb

Terry said:
Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

No, they are more intrusive than popups.
What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

And it didn't even take scripting.

kaeli

Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

You thought wrong. *grin*
What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

This is an important announcement.</p>

Actually, important announcements _shouldn't_ rely on script. Nothing
_important_ should rely on script. Your visitors can read. And they get used
to things. Have one spot you always put announcements at and update it as
appropriate. See the home pages of the links in my sig to see where I put my
announcements (otherwise known as "I last updated this on xx/xx/xxxx and I
added XXXXX"). They stand out because of the style, not b/c I shove it
peoples' faces. They don't stand out so much that they get annoying. They can
be ignored. Important for repeat visitors who've already read the latest
announcements. Most importantly, because it's just normal markup, they work
no matter what browser is used and regardless of script enabled.

If this is for a site where people can subscribe, you can give them the
option of getting e-mail alerts.
Any site can make use of the somewhat new RSS technology, too. People
subscribe to RSS feeds, provided by you, to let them know what's changed
lately.

~kaeli~
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day
and a half, how long would it take for a monkey with a
wooden leg to kick the dill seeds out of a pickle?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Vladdy

Matthew Lock

I have found these DHTML "windows" useful for web applications
occasionally, but I can see within a year or so they will be everywhere
like popups are now. I can see a DHTML blocker coming soon ;)