    same but is not limited to the quirk mode for IE 6.

    Thanks in advance!

    Terry

    Terry, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Terry

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    0m enlightened us with...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like the DHTML-based pop-up window script made available by this
    > company. However, their script only works under the quirk mode for IE 6
    > and Firefox.
    >
    > http://www.ferant.com

    "A dragable layer that can be used like a popup, but it is user friendly,
    powerful, immune from popup killers, and robust enough to earn the rating of
    "Recommended"."

    I HATE these with an undying passion. They aren't "user friendly". They're
    "user irritating".

    Adverts that I am forced to endure b/c my popup blocker won't block them.
    Makes me disable script for the site or just stop visiting altogether.
    Think twice before you employ such tactics for advertizing. It can easily
    drive away visitors.

    I could fix it, but I won't. Some idiot will just use it to irritate yet more
    people.

    ~kaeli~
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you
    need it.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > "A dragable layer that can be used like a popup, but it is user friendly,
    > powerful, immune from popup killers, and robust enough to earn the rating of
    > "Recommended"."
    >
    > I HATE these with an undying passion. They aren't "user friendly". They're
    > "user irritating".
    >
    > Adverts that I am forced to endure b/c my popup blocker won't block them.
    > Makes me disable script for the site or just stop visiting altogether.
    > Think twice before you employ such tactics for advertizing. It can easily
    > drive away visitors.
    >
    > I could fix it, but I won't. Some idiot will just use it to irritate yet more
    > people.

    Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
    these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

    What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
    up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

    Terry

    Terry, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Terry

    Randy Webb Guest

    Terry wrote:

    >>"A dragable layer that can be used like a popup, but it is user friendly,
    >>powerful, immune from popup killers, and robust enough to earn the rating of
    >>"Recommended"."
    >>
    >>I HATE these with an undying passion. They aren't "user friendly". They're
    >>"user irritating".
    >>
    >>Adverts that I am forced to endure b/c my popup blocker won't block them.
    >>Makes me disable script for the site or just stop visiting altogether.
    >>Think twice before you employ such tactics for advertizing. It can easily
    >>drive away visitors.
    >>
    >>I could fix it, but I won't. Some idiot will just use it to irritate yet more
    >>people.

    > Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
    > these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

    No, they are more intrusive than popups.

    > What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
    > up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

    And it didn't even take scripting.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Feb 9, 2005
  5. Terry

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    0m enlightened us with...

    > Well, I want to use it for important announcements, not ads. I thought
    > these were not as intrusive as the real pop-up windows.

    You thought wrong. *grin*

    > What are the better ways to make important announcements other than pop-
    > up windows? I don't like scrollers that much.

    This is an important announcement.</p>

    Actually, important announcements _shouldn't_ rely on script. Nothing
    _important_ should rely on script. Your visitors can read. And they get used
    to things. Have one spot you always put announcements at and update it as
    appropriate. See the home pages of the links in my sig to see where I put my
    announcements (otherwise known as "I last updated this on xx/xx/xxxx and I
    added XXXXX"). They stand out because of the style, not b/c I shove it
    peoples' faces. They don't stand out so much that they get annoying. They can
    be ignored. Important for repeat visitors who've already read the latest
    announcements. Most importantly, because it's just normal markup, they work
    no matter what browser is used and regardless of script enabled.

    If this is for a site where people can subscribe, you can give them the
    option of getting e-mail alerts.
    Any site can make use of the somewhat new RSS technology, too. People
    subscribe to RSS feeds, provided by you, to let them know what's changed
    lately.

    ~kaeli~
    If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day
    and a half, how long would it take for a monkey with a
    wooden leg to kick the dill seeds out of a pickle?

    kaeli, Feb 10, 2005
  6. Terry

    Vladdy Guest

    Terry wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I like the DHTML-based pop-up window script made available by this
    > company. However, their script only works under the quirk mode for IE 6
    > and Firefox.
    >
    > http://www.ferant.com
    >
    > I wonder if there are other similar DHTML-based scripts that can do the
    > same but is not limited to the quirk mode for IE 6.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Terry

    Still in a BETA stage, but enough to give you an idea:
    http://www.klproductions.com/klwindows/klwindowsmanual.html

    --
    Vladdy
    http://www.klproductions.com

    Vladdy, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Terry

    Matthew Lock Guest

    I have found these DHTML "windows" useful for web applications
    occasionally, but I can see within a year or so they will be everywhere
    like popups are now. I can see a DHTML blocker coming soon ;)

    Matthew Lock, Feb 15, 2005