DHTML Floating iFrame - help testing/correcting

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by gsb, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. gsb

    gsb Guest

    Don't know if this is the right place to post this JavaScript issue.
    If not, could someone point me in the right direction please.

    I am trying to make a "cross browser compliant" floating iFrame.
    Not real fancy, just load, resize and move.

    But, I do not have the browsers, OSs and different machines (like Mac) to
    test the code on.
    So I need some help to see where this basic example of works and does not
    work.
    That is, some help testing and correcting it if possible.

    So far, I know it works on these: IE6 Win98, IE6 Win2000Pro, Netscape 7
    Win200Pro, FireFox XP Home & XP Pro and IE6 XP Pro.
    But what about, PC IE5, IE5.5, Opera, and Mac (all), as well as others I've
    omitted.

    Your help is appreciated.
    Anyone?

    http://www.liteboards.com/gsb/testing2.html

    Thanks,

    gsb
    gsb, Oct 21, 2004

  2. gsb

    Ivo Guest

    "gsb" wrote
    > So far, I know it works on these: IE6 Win98, IE6 Win2000Pro, Netscape 7
    > Win200Pro, FireFox XP Home & XP Pro and IE6 XP Pro.
    > But what about, PC IE5, IE5.5, Opera, and Mac (all), as well as others

    I've
    > omitted.

    That 's an impressive list. I sadly do not have the proper equipment either
    but would like to note that with the numerous
    return false; // ...for anchor tags
    statements in your code, just to continue the matter of correct coding it
    would be nice to see the the anchors actually go somewhere for those
    situations where things do indeed fail. So a real url like
    instead of
    Certainly with a link text like "Load Google.com".
    --
    Ivo
    Ivo, Oct 21, 2004

  3. gsb

    Fred Oz Guest

    gsb wrote:
    [snip]
    > But, I do not have the browsers, OSs and different machines (like Mac) to
    > test the code on.
    > So I need some help to see where this basic example of works and does not
    > work.
    > That is, some help testing and correcting it if possible.

    Hi, I did some Mac testing, results below.

    Safari 1.0.3 (Mac OS X 10.2.8)
    Seems to work fine, the move and re-size just moves/resized the iFrame,
    scroll bars appeared as appropriate on the window and iFrame.

    Camino 0.7 (latest version is 0.8, I'll get around it one day...)
    Browser re-sizes when loading your URL. I made it smaller again, then
    clicked your links. Everything worked as per Safari, no more window
    re-sizing (unless I reloaded the URL), the iFrame moved/resized fine.

    IE 5.2.2
    As per Camino, but no vertical or horizontal scroll bars on window if
    made smaller than iFrame. Scroll bars appeared on iFrame as required.

    Firefox 0.9.1 (Latest is 1.0PR, but as for Camino...)
    As for Camino, however the onload resize pushes the status bar off the
    bottom of the screen. Scroll bars on window & iFrame as required.

    Mozilla 1.7
    As for Firefox (including status bar off the bottom) - no surprises
    there.

    Netscape 7.2
    As for Firefox & Mozilla.

    Opera 6.03
    Weird. No re-size on load, displayed "empty", put scroll bars on when
    window made too small. Didn't load links in iFrame. I don't think it
    did the resize (hard to tell with no content and the scroll bars didn't
    alter). The move moved "empty" but it went back to the start if the
    window was re-sized manually.

    Incidentally, I hate sites that resize my window. Windows has a
    maximise button, Mac has an "optimise" button, if I want the window
    bigger I can do so with a single click. Having a script make the
    window as big as it can makes me drag it back to where it was - yuk.

    Pushing the status bar off the bottom of the screen and extending the
    browser window under the dock is really annoying too.

    Hope that helps - Fred.
    Fred Oz, Oct 21, 2004
  4. gsb

    gsb Guest

    Fred,

    Thank you very much for your time. It is a big help.
    I am scripting "blind" and your time is appreciated.

    As to the "full screen" opening, have you any suggestions?
    For the target application it is truly required.
    I even suggest the user hit their 'f11' key once on site.

    And also thank you Ivo.
    Your suggestion is good.
    In-fact, the real version will set a flag to use a different "content
    viewing" implementation as well as track (via. PHP/mySQL) which
    browser/OS/Machines failed.

    I thank you both for your time and help.

    gsb
    gsb, Oct 21, 2004
  5. gsb

    gsb Guest

    Fred,

    > Incidentally, I hate sites that resize my window. Windows has a
    > maximise button, Mac has an "optimise" button, if I want the window
    > bigger I can do so with a single click. Having a script make the
    > window as big as it can makes me drag it back to where it was - yuk.

    The actual site implementation will do a browser check and if sufficiently
    capable, open this is a new window.
    Otherwise, open an alternative site in the same window without resizing it.
    So the users default window size remains after one exits the site/closes the
    window.

    > Pushing the status bar off the bottom of the screen and extending the
    > browser window under the dock is really annoying too.

    This, I agree is unacceptable. Hopefully, I will find a work around.
    But if not, I may have to rethink and use something like an alert box to ask
    the user to maximize their window.

    Thanks for your candor.

    gsb
    gsb, Oct 21, 2004
  6. gsb

    Fred Oz Guest

    gsb wrote:

    > The actual site implementation will do a browser check and if sufficiently
    > capable, open this is a new window.
    > Otherwise, open an alternative site in the same window without resizing it.
    > So the users default window size remains after one exits the site/closes the
    > window.

    I think you should leave the window alone completely. I tested it
    at 1280x1024, which is (according to w3schools) larger than 90% of web
    surfers - I don't see why I need to fill the entire window. Most web
    pages are built to fit around 800x600, so perhaps you should aim for
    1024x768 (50% of surfers) to allow for your links on one side - note
    that screens up to 2560x1600 are available.

    People with small screens likely have their windows maximised anyway,
    so they will get a maximised window by default if you don't specify a
    size.

    Cheers, Fred.
    Fred Oz, Oct 22, 2004
  7. "gsb" <> wrote in message news:thPdd.6$...

    > Fred,
    >
    > Thank you very much for your time. It is a big help.
    > I am scripting "blind" and your time is appreciated.
    >
    > As to the "full screen" opening, have you any suggestions?
    > For the target application it is truly required.
    > I even suggest the user hit their 'f11' key once on site.
    >
    > And also thank you Ivo.
    > Your suggestion is good.
    > In-fact, the real version will set a flag to use a different "content
    > viewing" implementation as well as track (via. PHP/mySQL) which
    > browser/OS/Machines failed.
    >
    > I thank you both for your time and help.
    >
    > gsb

    I don't see why you re-size the window? What could you possibly have that requires it? Like Fred said it's
    not a good idea. All it does is remind us of renegade web sites. Try to make what you have perform admirably
    without doing it. Since I couldn't figure out what the purpose was I cannot help in that regard.

    By the way. In IE 5.5SP2 I got no scroll bars at all anywhere. So the iframes were not really in my viewable area. They appeared to the far right and just above the status bar. Much of what they contained was not accessible. Maybe it is because I resized the Window back to the way I like it?

    One thing you might consider about resizing windows. In Windows what happens when you do this is that the user preferences can altered. Last open Window size changes. So not only do you flip the user out when the Window is resized but the behavior continues long after the user has left the site. And takes resizing and closing the browser to bring things back to the way the user wants it.

    --
    George Hester
    George Hester, Oct 23, 2004