DHTML menus and video

parksch2

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time with the use of my DHTML menu and video on my
site. The video is served using Windows Media Player. Short of hiding
it, I can't seem to get my DHTML menu to appear above the video.
Unfortunately, I have noticed that hiding the video caused the browser
to flash several times. Does anyone know of anything I can implement
that would minimize the client side impact and also allow my menu to
appear on top of the video?

Thanks in advance!

parksch2

I hide the select boxes and the behavior for that is fine. It's when I
try to hide the video the browser flashes which for obviously reasons
isn't a pleasant user experience.

Kevin Newman

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time with the use of my DHTML menu and video on my
site. The video is served using Windows Media Player. Short of hiding
it, I can't seem to get my DHTML menu to appear above the video.
Unfortunately, I have noticed that hiding the video caused the browser
to flash several times. Does anyone know of anything I can implement
that would minimize the client side impact and also allow my menu to
appear on top of the video?

Thanks in advance!

Does this help:
http://www.mioplanet.com/rsc/embed_mediaplayer.htm

in the object tag (assuming you are using the object tag to embed the
video) add this param:

<PARAM name="windowlessVideo" value="true">

parksch2

Perfect, thanks Kevin! It works great for WMP 8, 9 and 10. Any idea why
this doesn't work for 7?

Thanks again!

cwdjrxyz

Kevin said:
Does this help:
http://www.mioplanet.com/rsc/embed_mediaplayer.htm

in the object tag (assuming you are using the object tag to embed the
video) add this param:

<PARAM name="windowlessVideo" value="true">

The reference you quote uses an ActiveX object to control the WMP.
However only the IE family of browsers come with full ActiveX support.
The most recent Netscape browser has ActiveX support for the WMP only.
Plugins are availabe for ActiveX support for the WMP only for some
other browsers, but many users of these browsers do not have these
plugins installed, or even know about them. Some of these plugins are
not very easy to install for the casual computer user. It is possible
to support both Windows and Real Media with a general object that does
not require ActiveX and without adding an embed(which is a validation
error) within the ActiveX object for players that do not support
ActiveX. The codes I use are at
http://www.cwdjr.info/media/playersRoot.php . These methods work on the
latest versions of IE6 and close relatives such as MSN9, Avant, and
MyIE2. They also work on the latest versions of Mozilla, Firefox,
Netscape, and Opera. Use of these methods can result in validation at
xhtml 1.1 and work when served as true xhtml using the mime type
application/xhtml+xml, if you wish. You can even add a php include at
the very top of the page that detects if the browser will support the
named mime type. If it does, everything above the head of the page is
written as xhtml 1.1 and served as such. For outmoded browsers,
including IE6, that can not support the mentioned mime type, the code
above the head is written as html 4.01 strict, a regular expression is
used to convert self closed xhtml tags such as <br /> to <br> as
required for xhtml 4.01 strict, and the page is served as text/html.