Dhtml script

Discussion in 'HTML' started by vvega, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. vvega

    vvega Guest

    vvega, Oct 9, 2004

  2. vvega

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html,alt.html.dhtml,free.it.comp.lang.html vvega said:

    > does anyone know a script like this
    > http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/document6.htm

    i would strongly recommend against using such cheesy gimmicks. they
    become very annoying very quickly.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 9, 2004

  3. vvega

    vvega Guest

    > i would strongly recommend against using such cheesy gimmicks. they
    > become very annoying very quickly.

    I set it with a high speed, an effect in a condition like the one of that
    url is annoying also for me.
    vvega, Oct 9, 2004
  4. vvega

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber, Oct 11, 2004
  5. vvega

    rf Guest

    Jan Faerber wrote:

    <> wrote in message
    > vvega wrote:
    >

    > > http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/document6.htm which, instead

    of
    > > beginning from the center, it begins from left and scrolls to right?

    > DW can create such effects with layers.

    They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
    with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  6. vvega

    Jan Faerber Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Jan Faerber wrote:
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> vvega wrote:
    >>

    >> > http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/document6.htm which, instead

    > of
    >> > beginning from the center, it begins from left and scrolls to right?

    >> DW can create such effects with layers.

    > They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's
    > manipulated with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    Oh - sorry - I once have done it with an animated bird flying across the
    page - and I saw it with an animated kangaroo ... yes - it is similar
    to image maps but you add something like a time line.
    The 'problem' is only the vertical scroll bar appears when the images
    is leaving the border of the window. That can be done with DW - ty Rich

    If you want you can take vvega`s dhtml script aswell and remove the left
    curtain. Then place the start of the right curtain to 0.
    I tried this - but only for my version of konqueror -- something like ns6:
    http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/curtain.html

    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11
    Jan Faerber, Oct 11, 2004
  7. vvega

    rf Guest

    Jan Faerber wrote:

    > That can be done with DW - ty

    I assume you mistyped "try". Well I don't use DW. Never have. Never will.

    > Rich

    The name is Richard, thankyou.

    > If you want you can take vvega`s dhtml script aswell and remove the left
    > curtain. Then place the start of the right curtain to 0.
    > I tried this - but only for my version of konqueror -- something like ns6:
    > http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/curtain.html

    Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
    stick at[1] the same thing can be achieved with about one quarter of the
    fussing around, and far better,

    that is if you want to insult your viewer that much. As has been mentioned
    elsewhere such things are interesting once, booring second and bloody
    annoying subsequently.

    [1] To specify a few:

    Lack of doctype indicating fallback to browser quirks mode and no attempt at
    all to validate the page.

    <!-- cargo cult nonsense.

    Where in the CSS specification does one find the layer-background-color
    property?

    This: <script language="JavaScript1.2"> is simply wrong. It gets corrected
    here and over at clj every day.

    eval("document.all.i2.style") enough said but take this to clj and be
    prepared to be flamed to a cinder.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  8. vvega

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    > Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
    > stick at[1]

    what are you saying? my html editor is inadequate? its not up to the
    task?

    i'm hurt <sob/>

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 11, 2004
  9. vvega

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Jan Faerber wrote:
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>vvega wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex3/document6.htm which, instead

    > of
    >
    >>>beginning from the center, it begins from left and scrolls to right?

    >>DW can create such effects with layers.

    > They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
    > with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    duh.

    Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    easier way to describe the functionality.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 11, 2004
  10. vvega

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >>DW can create such effects with layers.

    > > They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
    > > with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    > duh.
    > Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    > trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    > easier way to describe the functionality.

    Whoa.... Someone's cranky this morning....
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Oct 11, 2004
  11. vvega

    rf Guest

    brucie wrote sadly:
    > In alt.html rf said:
    >
    > > Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
    > > stick at[1]

    > what are you saying? my html editor is inadequate? its not up to the
    > task?
    >
    > i'm hurt <sob/>

    brucie - settle, I spoke of the "delete and correct" stick, not the "write
    giggly new stuff" stick.

    You, and of course I, only ever use the latter stick. The former is
    available for newbies who in their naivety inflict spurious footprints all
    across their coding sandpit and must perforce stand back in awe when mighty
    errors erupt all over the landscape ;-/

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  12. vvega

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html rf said:

    > brucie - settle, I spoke of the "delete and correct" stick, not the "write
    > giggly new stuff" stick.
    >
    > You, and of course I, only ever use the latter stick. The former is
    > available for newbies who in their naivety inflict spurious footprints all
    > across their coding sandpit and must perforce stand back in awe when mighty
    > errors erupt all over the landscape ;-/

    LOL funny bugger!

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 11, 2004
  13. vvega

    rf Guest

    SpaceGirl
    > rf wrote:

    > > They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's

    manipulated
    > > with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    > duh.
    >
    > Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    > trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    > easier way to describe the functionality.

    Hey miranda, see any clients here?

    Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
    attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  14. vvega

    rf Guest

    brucie cherefully wrote:
    > In alt.html rf said:

    > > brucie - settle, I spoke of the "delete and correct" stick, not the

    "write
    > > giggly new stuff" stick.
    > >
    > > You, and of course I, only ever use the latter stick. The former is
    > > available for newbies who in their naivety inflict spurious footprints

    all
    > > across their coding sandpit and must perforce stand back in awe when

    mighty
    > > errors erupt all over the landscape ;-/

    > LOL funny bugger!

    <quote>
    ^^^^^^^ sorry, wishful thinking,
    i meant bigger
    </quote>

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  15. vvega

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:
    > SpaceGirl
    >
    >>rf wrote:

    >>>They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's

    > manipulated
    >
    >>>with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    >>duh.
    >>
    >>Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    >>trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    >>easier way to describe the functionality.

    > Hey miranda, see any clients here?
    >
    > Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
    > attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

    No - layers describe a way of visualising a web page; from both a tech
    and non-check PoV. By refering to layers you can safely assume you are
    talking about divs... it's just easier all around. It describes the
    mechanism, not the technology. Bit like a "web page" yes? Or will you
    insist on calling it an "html document" :p

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 11, 2004
  16. vvega

    SpaceGirl Guest

    WebcastMaker wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    >>>They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
    >>>with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    >>duh.
    >>Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    >>trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    >>easier way to describe the functionality.

    > Whoa.... Someone's cranky this morning....

    :p

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 11, 2004
  17. vvega

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html WebcastMaker said:

    > Whoa.... Someone's cranky this morning....

    same time as last month. hmmmmm.... electricity bill must be due.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 11, 2004
  18. rf wrote:
    > SpaceGirl
    >
    >>rf wrote:

    >>>They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's

    > manipulated
    >
    >>>with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

    >>duh.
    >>
    >>Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
    >>trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
    >>easier way to describe the functionality.

    > Hey miranda, see any clients here?
    >
    > Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
    > attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

    And we're all HTML programmers!

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Oct 11, 2004
  19. vvega

    rf Guest

    SpaceGirl

    > > Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
    > > attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)
    > >

    > No - layers describe a way of visualising a web page; from both a tech
    > and non-check PoV. By refering to layers you can safely assume you are
    > talking about divs... it's just easier all around. It describes the
    > mechanism, not the technology. Bit like a "web page" yes? Or will you
    > insist on calling it an "html document" :p

    <pedant>
    Well no I would not. Not always anyway.

    What is a "web page"? It is an entity that is sitting on an HTTP server
    somewhere.

    Is it an HTML document? Maybe. Maybe not.

    It may also be a PHP script that spits out an "HTML document".

    It may be a .pdf.

    It may be a word document that will cause a browser to fire up its word
    plug-in.

    It may be an .exe that I offer up for download.

    It may be simply a .jpeg that the browser will display.

    HTML documents are not the only things that are serverd up by a web browser.
    </pedant>

    I would not call an HTML element a tag. I would not call a web page an HTML
    document. I would not call a <div> a layer.

    I would not call this newsgroup a "forum" as many do.

    I have been in the IT business for over 30 years. I have learned to call
    things *exactly* what they are. It avoids confusion and need for further
    clarification. Sure, use lay speak when talking to the client but when in
    the technical arena use the correct terminology.

    "layer" is a not-tech, proprietry term. I prefer to use "a div, manipulated
    with javascript". Verbose? yes. Ambiguous? no.

    We may have to agree to differ on this one :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 11, 2004
  20. vvega

    Jan Faerber Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Jan Faerber wrote:
    >
    >> That can be done with DW - ty

    > I assume you mistyped "try". Well I don't use DW. Never have. Never will.

    ty is Thank You.
    Is it deprecated?

    I don't use DW neither. But I remember this feature.
    >> Rich

    > The name is Richard, thankyou.

    You don't need to show me any document.

    >> http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/curtain.html

    > Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
    > stick at[1] the same thing can be achieved with about one quarter of the
    > fussing around, and far better,

    .... really? Then go on Richard!

    'to poke a stick at' - I wanted to enter this phrase here:
    http://dict.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/fo...m002_new&sort_order=&list_size=30&list_skip=0
    .... but 'The New Entry Forum will remain closed until further notice so that
    we can reduce the backlog of suggested entries.'

    > that is if you want to insult your viewer that much. As has been mentioned
    > elsewhere such things are interesting once, booring second and bloody
    > annoying subsequently.

    Boring? hehe - You go to the theatre tonight and wait for the curtain
    opening. Now you sit infront of the CRT and it opens at once. I hope
    the page is not boring! On www.muppets.com you still have to wait for
    14 days until the curtain opens -> new site countdown. enjoy the flash
    meanwhile.

    > [1] To specify a few:

    I just took the code from the top-poster and made a curtain opening from the
    left to the right... No warrenty!

    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11