Dhtml script

vvega

i would strongly recommend against using such cheesy gimmicks. they
become very annoying very quickly.

I set it with a high speed, an effect in a condition like the one of that
url is annoying also for me.

rf

Jan Faerber wrote:

vvega wrote:

DW can create such effects with layers.

They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

Jan Faerber

rf said:
Jan Faerber wrote:

They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's
manipulated with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

Oh - sorry - I once have done it with an animated bird flying across the
page - and I saw it with an animated kangaroo ... yes - it is similar
to image maps but you add something like a time line.
The 'problem' is only the vertical scroll bar appears when the images
is leaving the border of the window. That can be done with DW - ty Rich

If you want you can take vvega`s dhtml script aswell and remove the left
curtain. Then place the start of the right curtain to 0.
I tried this - but only for my version of konqueror -- something like ns6:
http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/curtain.html

rf

Jan said:
That can be done with DW - ty

I assume you mistyped "try". Well I don't use DW. Never have. Never will.

The name is Richard, thankyou.
If you want you can take vvega`s dhtml script aswell and remove the left
curtain. Then place the start of the right curtain to 0.
I tried this - but only for my version of konqueror -- something like ns6:
http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/curtain.html

Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
stick at[1] the same thing can be achieved with about one quarter of the
fussing around, and far better,

that is if you want to insult your viewer that much. As has been mentioned
elsewhere such things are interesting once, booring second and bloody
annoying subsequently.

[1] To specify a few:

Lack of doctype indicating fallback to browser quirks mode and no attempt at
all to validate the page.

<!-- cargo cult nonsense.

Where in the CSS specification does one find the layer-background-color
property?

This: <script language="JavaScript1.2"> is simply wrong. It gets corrected
here and over at clj every day.

eval("document.all.i2.style") enough said but take this to clj and be
prepared to be flamed to a cinder.

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
stick at[1]

what are you saying? my html editor is inadequate? its not up to the
task?

i'm hurt <sob/>

SpaceGirl

rf said:
Jan Faerber wrote:

They are not layers, a netscape 4.x phenomenon.. They are div's manipulated
with javascript. Microsoft would call this "DHTML".

duh.

Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
easier way to describe the functionality.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

WebcastMaker

duh.
Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
easier way to describe the functionality.

Whoa.... Someone's cranky this morning....

rf

brucie wrote sadly:
In alt.html rf said:
Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
stick at[1]

what are you saying? my html editor is inadequate? its not up to the
task?

i'm hurt <sob/>

brucie - settle, I spoke of the "delete and correct" stick, not the "write
giggly new stuff" stick.

You, and of course I, only ever use the latter stick. The former is
available for newbies who in their naivety inflict spurious footprints all
across their coding sandpit and must perforce stand back in awe when mighty
errors erupt all over the landscape ;-/

brucie

In alt.html rf said:
brucie - settle, I spoke of the "delete and correct" stick, not the "write
giggly new stuff" stick.

You, and of course I, only ever use the latter stick. The former is
available for newbies who in their naivety inflict spurious footprints all
across their coding sandpit and must perforce stand back in awe when mighty
errors erupt all over the landscape ;-/

LOL funny bugger!

rf

SpaceGirl
rf wrote:
duh.

Yes they ARE layers in the most generic sense of the word. If you are
trying to explain how divs work to a client, the word "layer" is a much
easier way to describe the functionality.

Hey miranda, see any clients here?

Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

SpaceGirl

rf said:
SpaceGirl

Hey miranda, see any clients here?

Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

No - layers describe a way of visualising a web page; from both a tech
and non-check PoV. By refering to layers you can safely assume you are
talking about divs... it's just easier all around. It describes the
mechanism, not the technology. Bit like a "web page" yes? Or will you
insist on calling it an "html document" :p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Matthias Gutfeldt

rf said:
SpaceGirl

Hey miranda, see any clients here?

Next thing we will be calling elements tags and properties tags and
attributes tags and entities tags and tags commands :)

And we're all HTML programmers!

Matthias

rf

SpaceGirl
No - layers describe a way of visualising a web page; from both a tech
and non-check PoV. By refering to layers you can safely assume you are
talking about divs... it's just easier all around. It describes the
mechanism, not the technology. Bit like a "web page" yes? Or will you
insist on calling it an "html document" :p

<pedant>
Well no I would not. Not always anyway.

What is a "web page"? It is an entity that is sitting on an HTTP server
somewhere.

Is it an HTML document? Maybe. Maybe not.

It may also be a PHP script that spits out an "HTML document".

It may be a .pdf.

It may be a word document that will cause a browser to fire up its word
plug-in.

It may be an .exe that I offer up for download.

It may be simply a .jpeg that the browser will display.

HTML documents are not the only things that are serverd up by a web browser.
</pedant>

I would not call an HTML element a tag. I would not call a web page an HTML
document. I would not call a <div> a layer.

I would not call this newsgroup a "forum" as many do.

I have been in the IT business for over 30 years. I have learned to call
things *exactly* what they are. It avoids confusion and need for further
clarification. Sure, use lay speak when talking to the client but when in
the technical arena use the correct terminology.

"layer" is a not-tech, proprietry term. I prefer to use "a div, manipulated
with javascript". Verbose? yes. Ambiguous? no.

We may have to agree to differ on this one :)

Jan Faerber

rf said:
I assume you mistyped "try". Well I don't use DW. Never have. Never will.

ty is Thank You.
Is it deprecated?

I don't use DW neither. But I remember this feature.
The name is Richard, thankyou.

You don't need to show me any document.
Hmmm. Apart from the fact that this has more errors than you can poke a
stick at[1] the same thing can be achieved with about one quarter of the
fussing around, and far better,
.... really? Then go on Richard!

'to poke a stick at' - I wanted to enter this phrase here:
http://dict.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/fo...m002_new&sort_order=&list_size=30&list_skip=0
.... but 'The New Entry Forum will remain closed until further notice so that
we can reduce the backlog of suggested entries.'
that is if you want to insult your viewer that much. As has been mentioned
elsewhere such things are interesting once, booring second and bloody
annoying subsequently.

Boring? hehe - You go to the theatre tonight and wait for the curtain
opening. Now you sit infront of the CRT and it opens at once. I hope
the page is not boring! On www.muppets.com you still have to wait for
14 days until the curtain opens -> new site countdown. enjoy the flash
meanwhile.
[1] To specify a few:

I just took the code from the top-poster and made a curtain opening from the
left to the right... No warrenty!