diagnosing the mail<->news gateway: please help

David A. Black

Hi --

Anyone who posts directly to ruby-talk (which is probably the only
people who will see this :) it would be very helpful if you could
check on Google Groups to see whether or not your messages, especially
recent ones (past month or so) have been making it through to Usenet.

Please let me know by email what you find, and I'll forward the
results to Dennis.

Thanks --

David

Charles Comstock

David said:
Hi --

Anyone who posts directly to ruby-talk (which is probably the only
people who will see this :) it would be very helpful if you could
check on Google Groups to see whether or not your messages, especially
recent ones (past month or so) have been making it through to Usenet.

Please let me know by email what you find, and I'll forward the
results to Dennis.

Thanks --

David

I use an nntp server and I saw this message, so something just be working.
Charles Comstock

daz

David A. Black said:
Hi --

Anyone who posts directly to ruby-talk (which is probably the only
people who will see this :) it would be very helpful if you could
check on Google Groups to see whether or not your messages, especially
recent ones (past month or so) have been making it through to Usenet.

Please let me know by email what you find, and I'll forward the
results to Dennis.

Thanks --

David

Quite perverse that this post got through :)

Here are two close instances of success and failure from the same poster
which might help indicate the point of breakage:

www.ruby-talk.org/90792 (successful)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 02:25:30 +0900
From: Sam Roberts <...>

www.ruby-talk.org/90911 (failed)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:15:16 +0900
From: Sam Roberts <...>

I counted 32 postings from Sam since 28 Jan which haven't
made it from ML to NG.

Another casualty is David Naseby (e.g. www.ruby-talk.org/94112)

Here's a link for searching c.l.r. postings since 2004/01/26:

http://qurl.net/l

(Hope that didn't wrap !!)

===

I don't know whether Dennis was expecting to have to maintain the
gateway software; it's brilliant that he offered to host it.

IIUC, the TU-Berlin newsfeed is coming from its UseNet news service
and the ML feed from the same source as ruby-talk subscribers
(i.e. virus & spam checked e-mail).
I can see that ML'ers have replied to the "phantom" posts so I
guess that rules out SpamAssassin etc. because the posts have been
dispatched.

I wonder if there is any possibility of the g/w code being placed
in a repository somewhere (?rubyforge?).
( It was public, once ... www.ruby-talk.org/2906 )

Had it been accessible, I would definitely have examined it
before now. <*#$%!>

daz

Gavin Sinclair

I don't know whether Dennis was expecting to have to maintain the
gateway software; it's brilliant that he offered to host it.

Making it a RubyForge project might help, no? Get some more eyes
looking at it.

Cheers,
Gavin

daz

Gavin said:
Making it a RubyForge project might help, no? Get some more eyes
looking at it.

Cheers,
Gavin

Hope so.

IMHO, such a visible medium-scale project written in Ruby
shouldn't be /sucking/.

As seen in the past, it has the potential to wreak havoc, so the
safety handling needs to be as tight as a toucan's trachea
without restricting its respiration.

daz

(now under medication ;)