dial phone number, in java

Firewalker

Hello guys,
I was wondering if you can give m little help with this. I am trying to
write a small program that dial a phone number through the modem. Is it
possible to do it in java? Any help?
I searched the internet and all the netwroking website are about the
internet and http!!!

Thanks alot guys

marcus

do you plan on doing anything after dialing, or just dialing and hanging
up? are you seriously asking how to control a hardware device on your
PC to open and manage a network connection -- in a language newsgroup?
Isn't that like asking how to spin up a CDROM drive and read raw data
from it?

first of all, the windows dialer is a very strange beast. It basically
handles negotiating a connection using the modem's device drivers to a
distant modem (handshake, speed, compression, error checking, stuff like
that), and setting up the TCP/IP stack, handling DHCP if necessary, DNS,
etc. It can even torture routing tables and generally make a hash of
things.

generally, the windows dialer is a service that can be automatically
invoked by making a sort of request for network connectivity. There is
a windows API available (RAS API I believe)that has various ways of
talking to windows about its connectivity -- for example, instruct
windows to attempt it's default connection, or simply launch the dialer.
Windows API's would be written in C, of course.

BBS's are usually accessed using a terminal (HyperTerminal), which I
don't think uses either the windows dialer or TCP/IP, but don't quote me
on that. It just uses windows API's for accessing the modem hardware.

Software fax machines dial fax modems, etc.

Not for the faint at heart.