    right direction?
    Thanks,
    Brent

    Brent, Aug 15, 2006

  2. Brent,
    It's likely to be a lot more complicated than you state, since the sound
    clip that is played is a custom sound clip that says your name and includes
    contextual information related to some of the questions you answered.

    But that's only part of the problem. These promos are done with a media
    server that puts MP3 streams onto the outbound call, usually through RTP
    transport.

    You would have to at least have a 2 line modem and a way to conference or
    "bridge" the two calls.

    Hope you make a lot of money with it!
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 15, 2006

  3. Brent

    Brent Guest

    Well, I'm not so worried about that part, cause I could build a few clips
    and then programatically choose which ones to play. So I'm thinking my
    regular internet connection will take the web request to set up the call,
    then just the modem to make the call and play the clip. Like I said, I just
    want to get the first step working. Dial a modem and play 1 sound clip over
    it. That's the part I need help with.

    Brent, Aug 15, 2006
  4. Brent

    Dick Grier Guest

    Hi,

    Dialing the modem is easy. Examples abound.

    The hard part is the remainder. Only a small percentage of modems (so
    called "voice" modems) support playing a wav file -- or other audio format.
    So, first you have to select a modem that actually will work. Next is
    timing. Standard modems, even voice modems, do not provide feedback that
    you can use to determine when something interesting has happened (such as a
    person answering the phone, or responding to something that he/she has heard
    that you "played").

    IMO, you have your work cut out for you. Any advice that you receive should
    point you to more sophisitcated hardware, such as that designed for IVR
    (Interactive Voice Response) systems. A PC and a modem simply isn't up to
    the task. Again, IMO.

    Dick

    --
    Richard Grier, MVP
    Hard & Software

    Dick Grier, Aug 16, 2006
  5. Brent

    Greg Young Guest

    Alot of older modems supported this (remember the old answerring machine
    software systems?)

    Generally the API's were modem specific though if I remember correctly.

    Cheers,

    Greg Young
    MVP - C#
    http://codebetter.com/blogs/gregyoung

    Greg Young, Aug 16, 2006
  6. Brent

    nick_nw Guest

    Brent wrote:
    > Hi, I want to recreate my own version of http://snakesonaplane.varitalk.com/
    > . So basically I want to start with a basic, make the modem dial a number
    > and play a soundclip to the person that answers. Can someone point me in the
    > right direction?
    > Thanks,
    > Brent

    To dial a modem you could simply write commands to the modems com port.
    The dial command is typically ATD123456789.

    The problem you might have, however, is that .Net 1.1 doesn't have any
    built in support for accessing the serial port. If you are going to
    access the serial port there are plenty of examples on the net,
    inluding c# code samples. Failing that win32 has full support for
    serial communications.

    Let me know if want more details on interfacing with the serial port
    from .Net 1.1.

    Nick
    http://seecharp.blogspot.com/

    nick_nw, Aug 16, 2006