Diamond Shape Inheritance

amit

hi,

am new to the group. So not sure of the topic has been discussed.....

I was reading about diamond shaped inheritance on wikipedia.
=======================
In object-oriented programming languages with multiple inheritance and
knowledge organization, the diamond problem is an ambiguity that
arises when two classes B and C inherit from A, and class D inherits
from both B and C. If a method in D calls a method defined in A (and
does not override the method), and B and C have overridden that method
differently, then from which class does it inherit: B, or C?
======================

Now in the explanation for C++, the explanation goes as below:
============================
C++ by default follows each inheritance path separately, so a D object
would actually contain two separate A objects, and uses of A's members
have to be properly qualified. If the inheritance from A to B and the
inheritance from A to C are both marked "virtual" (for example, "class
B : virtual public A"), C++ takes special care to only create one A
object, and uses of A's members work correctly. If virtual inheritance
and nonvirtual inheritance are mixed, there is a single virtual A and
a nonvirtual A for each nonvirtual inheritance path to A.

============================

I has the following questions:

Question 1:
But it still does not answer the question raised... Lets assume Base
class (Class A) has a function called show(). Lets assume Class B and
C inherit A (virtually...) and override the function show(). Now
Suppose class D inherits both B and C (making a diamond shaped
inheritance) and we call show(). Which show will be called ?
B's Show or C'Show ?

Question2:
In the explanation it mentions the following: " a D object would
actually contain two separate A objects".
Now my understanding of C++ is limited. I actually thought when
inheritance happens we have Just 1 object of derived class.
Now as per the above statement we have 3 objects: 1 derived class
object and 2 base class objects (possibly embedded in the derived
class object) !!
This kind of confused me. Is this true ?

Juha Nieminen

amit said:
I was reading about diamond shaped inheritance on wikipedia.
=======================
In object-oriented programming languages with multiple inheritance and
knowledge organization, the diamond problem is an ambiguity that
arises when two classes B and C inherit from A, and class D inherits
from both B and C. If a method in D calls a method defined in A (and
does not override the method), and B and C have overridden that method
differently, then from which class does it inherit: B, or C?
======================

That's not really the problem with diamond inheritance. You don't even
need diamond inheritance, just multiple inheritance without any common
base class to get that "problem". Simply have a function with the same
name in both base classes you are inheriting from, and you have an
ambiguity. The solution is that you have to explicitly specify which one
you want to call, ie. "B::foo();" or "C::foo();"

The real problem with diamond inheritance is that if the base class A
has a member variable, should this member variable be duplicated in D
(once for B and once for C) or not? Should we consider B and C
completely independent classes with nothing in common (in which case
each has its own instance of that member variable from A), or should the
variables from A be merged in D, so that they appear only once?

The problem is not really on the user code side, but on the compiler
side. What kind of technologies should the compiler use in order to
achieve the merging? The problem is that the geometry of eg. C will be
different if it's instantiated as itself compared to it being inside D,
when D is instantiated. Yet eg. some function could take a reference of
type C, and you could give it a true instance of C, or you could give it
an instance of D. Both are valid parameters to it. However, that member
variable from A is at different locations in these cases. How can the
function in question know where it actually is?

C++ solves this problem, but it requires for the user to make the
decision of whether he wants the members of A to be merged or to be
separate, and this is done by either inheriting B and C from A in the
regular way (the members of A will become separate in D) or by
inheriting B and C virtually from A (the members of A will be merged in D).
Question 1:
But it still does not answer the question raised... Lets assume Base
class (Class A) has a function called show(). Lets assume Class B and
C inherit A (virtually...) and override the function show(). Now
Suppose class D inherits both B and C (making a diamond shaped
inheritance) and we call show(). Which show will be called ?
B's Show or C'Show ?

This has nothing to do with diamond nor virtual inheritance. It's just
a question of ambiguity if both B and C have a function named the same.

In that case you have to explicitly specify which one should be called
by prefixing the function call with the class name, eg. B::show();
Question2:
In the explanation it mentions the following: " a D object would
actually contain two separate A objects".
Now my understanding of C++ is limited. I actually thought when
inheritance happens we have Just 1 object of derived class.
Now as per the above statement we have 3 objects: 1 derived class
object and 2 base class objects (possibly embedded in the derived
class object) !!
This kind of confused me. Is this true ?

Let's forget about virtual inheritance, and let's think about the
geometry of B. It will be like this:

B class:
contents of A
additions of B

Likewise C will be like this:

C class:
contents of A
additions of C

If we inherit D from both, its geometry will be:

D class:
contents of B
contents of C
additions of D

But, forgetting any virtual inheritance, that's the same as:

D class
contents of A
additions of B
contents of A
additions of C
additions of D

The contents of A will appear twice in D. Once for the B part and once
for the C part.

What virtual inheritance does is that it merges the two A parts in D
into one. This requires internal trickery to work properly.

James Kanze

am new to the group. So not sure of the topic has been
discussed.....
I was reading about diamond shaped inheritance on wikipedia.

In which article. The quality of Wikipedia articles is very
variable, and many of the ones on software engineering are not
particularly good.
=======================
[...]

Well, it sort of answers it indirectly, in the first part you
quote. It's ambiguous. In C++, anything that is ambiguous is
an error; the compiler will complain.
Question2:
In the explanation it mentions the following: " a D object
would actually contain two separate A objects". Now my
understanding of C++ is limited. I actually thought when
inheritance happens we have Just 1 object of derived class.
Now as per the above statement we have 3 objects: 1 derived
class object and 2 base class objects (possibly embedded in
the derived class object) !!

An object can have sub-objects. In this case, the object of
type D has two sub-objects, one of type B and one of type C, and
each of these sub-objects has a distinct sub-object of type A.
This kind of confused me. Is this true ?

Well, it would have been better if they'd have said sub-object,
rather than object. But on the whole, yes---there are a few
particular contexts where C++ treats base sub-objects different
than other sub-objects (you can have a base sub-object of an
abstract class, a base sub-object can have 0 size, etc.), but
they are still very much objects in most senses.

The point of course, being that without virtual inheritance, in
C++, the inheritance structure would be:

A A
\ /
B C
\ /

and not:

/ \
B C
\ /

(Usually, it is the latter you want, and when extending an
interface by inheritance, it's usually best to use virtual
inheritance.)

James Kanze

That's not really the problem with diamond inheritance. You
don't even need diamond inheritance, just multiple inheritance
without any common base class to get that "problem". Simply
have a function with the same name in both base classes you
are inheriting from, and you have an ambiguity. The solution
is that you have to explicitly specify which one you want to
call, ie. "B::foo();" or "C::foo();"

Yes and no. The article he's quoting isn't particularly well
written, so it's not that clear what they're talking about. But
without diamond inheritance, it only becomes a problem when you
try to call the function (on a D); with diamond inheritance, it
is a problem if you try to call the function through a reference
to A, and in C++, it is a problem because the compiler doesn't
know what to put in the vtbl, which leads to a compile time
error.

Of course, the answer is the same: if the compiler doesn't know
what to do, tell it:).
The real problem with diamond inheritance is that if the base
class A has a member variable, should this member variable be
duplicated in D (once for B and once for C) or not? Should we
consider B and C completely independent classes with nothing
in common (in which case each has its own instance of that
member variable from A), or should the variables from A be
merged in D, so that they appear only once?

There seems to be a problem with vocabulary here. In C++,
unless there is virtual inheritance, there is no diamond. In
other languages, of course, inheritance may work by default like
virtual inheritance in C++. (That's the case of Java, for
example.) If the A base of B and the A base of C in a D object
have the same address, you have a diamond; if they have
different addresses, you don't.
The problem is not really on the user code side, but on the
compiler side.

Yes and no. The semantic is clearly different.
[...]

You do want to support both. If B and C are implementation
mixins, for example, it's quite possible that you do want to
different A. One can argue about the default in C++, however.
This has nothing to do with diamond nor virtual inheritance.
It's just a question of ambiguity if both B and C have a
function named the same.

Consider the following:

struct A { virtual void f() = 0 ; } ;
struct B : A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct C : A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct D : B, C {} ;

That's perfectly legal code, and only causes problems if you try
to call D::f(). On the other hand,

struct A { virtual void f() = 0 ; } ;
struct B : virtual A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct C : virtual A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct D : B, C {} ;

won't compile (at least with g++, but I think it's correct). On
the other hand, add a final virtual overrider in D (so that the
code will compile), and then write something like:

A* p = new D ;

and it's the version without the virtual inheritance which won't
compile.
In that case you have to explicitly specify which one should
be called by prefixing the function call with the class name,
eg. B::show();

You don't get to specify what goes into the vtbl.

Juha Nieminen

James said:
Consider the following:

struct A { virtual void f() = 0 ; } ;
struct B : A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct C : A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct D : B, C {} ;

That's perfectly legal code, and only causes problems if you try
to call D::f(). On the other hand,

struct A { virtual void f() = 0 ; } ;
struct B : virtual A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct C : virtual A { virtual void f() ; } ;
struct D : B, C {} ;

won't compile (at least with g++, but I think it's correct). On
the other hand, add a final virtual overrider in D (so that the
code will compile), and then write something like:

A* p = new D ;

and it's the version without the virtual inheritance which won't
compile.

I didn't think of that situation. Thanks for pointing it out.