Dictionary for XML elements

Discussion in 'XML' started by llanii, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. llanii

    llanii Guest

    Hi,

    My team uses XML extensively at work. We have created over 80 service
    to support various projects and/or systems. The demand for our service
    is continuously growing.

    We are looking at implementing some kind of a dictionary for all th
    XML elements used in our services. This dictionary would help us
    among other things, determine whether a specific or similar XML elemen
    already exists, the relationship between this specific XML element an
    others, in which schema this XML element exists, etc.

    We would like to be able to explore the various options there are ou
    there, and also do some comparisons among those options.

    Can anyone help

    -
    llani

    llanii, Aug 22, 2004

  2. llanii

    kahrs Guest

    llanii wrote:

    > We are looking at implementing some kind of a dictionary for all the
    > XML elements used in our services. This dictionary would help us,
    > among other things, determine whether a specific or similar XML element
    > already exists, the relationship between this specific XML element and
    > others, in which schema this XML element exists, etc.
    >
    > We would like to be able to explore the various options there are out
    > there, and also do some comparisons among those options.

    Do you mean a kind of Cross-Referencing tool ?

    Such a tool would list all the elements in your
    XSL files and make hierarchical dependencies
    visible in a kind of "call-graph".

    Such a tool should be trivial to implement.
    So, I am not sure if I have understood your
    intentions correctly.

    kahrs, Aug 23, 2004

  3. llanii

    FLEB Guest

    Regarding this well-known quote, often attributed to kahrs's famous "Mon,
    23 Aug 2004 18:07:34 +0200" speech:

    > llanii wrote:
    >
    >> We are looking at implementing some kind of a dictionary for all the
    >> XML elements used in our services. This dictionary would help us,
    >> among other things, determine whether a specific or similar XML element
    >> already exists, the relationship between this specific XML element and
    >> others, in which schema this XML element exists, etc.
    >>
    >> We would like to be able to explore the various options there are out
    >> there, and also do some comparisons among those options.

    > Do you mean a kind of Cross-Referencing tool ?
    >
    > Such a tool would list all the elements in your
    > XSL files and make hierarchical dependencies
    > visible in a kind of "call-graph".
    >
    > Such a tool should be trivial to implement.
    > So, I am not sure if I have understood your
    > intentions correctly.

    Well, I'm just a noob to XML, but I'd think that if you're using XML
    Schema, which is valid XML in-and-of itself, I imagine you could make it a
    policy to throw in some minor markup (in another namespace, p'r'aps?), then
    attack it with the right XSL transform, and just generate the "manual" like
    that.

    Granted, that's a huge initial investment of time...

    --
    -- Rudy Fleminger
    -- -down-to.us

    FLEB, Aug 29, 2004