diff between memmove & memecpy

Joona I Palaste

ROSY said:
1. How would you use the functions memcpy(), memset(), memmove()?

What does your C textbook say?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"Nothing lasts forever - so why not destroy it now?"

Mike Wahler

ROSY said:
1. How would you use the functions memcpy(), memset(), memmove()?

First I'd determine whether I need to use them at all.
If so, I'd look up their documentation, and write the
code accordingly.

How would *you* do it?

-Mike

ROSY

for RANDY,
hello,
thanks 4 ur rubbish & stupid response.U just waste my valuable
time.Don't be silly guy.Take care of urself.I just believe in laugh,but
obviously not responding in this stupid way.Altime joking with allthings
not good,Damned.Also dont waste ur time & groups member.

Lastly ur really damned.

Joona I Palaste

ROSY said:
for RANDY,
hello,
thanks 4 ur rubbish & stupid response.U just waste my valuable
time.Don't be silly guy.Take care of urself.I just believe in laugh,but
obviously not responding in this stupid way.Altime joking with allthings
not good,Damned.Also dont waste ur time & groups member.
Lastly ur really damned.

Well what did you expect with the kind of questions you asked? We were
led to believe you wanted us to do your homework for you.
PS. Please don't top-post.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"The large yellow ships hung in the sky in exactly the same way that bricks

R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah

for RANDY,
hello,
thanks 4 ur rubbish & stupid response.U just waste my valuable
time.Don't be silly guy.Take care of urself.I just believe in laugh,but
obviously not responding in this stupid way.Altime joking with allthings
not good,Damned.Also dont waste ur time & groups member.

Lastly ur really damned.

Hi Debashis,

This is certainly not the right way to respond to the newsgroup.
This is *not* the right response from the Gandhian land---the land of
love---the India.

I understand you're in the learning curve. This comp.lang.c is
filled with international experts and renowned book authors. You can
get almost all the answers by searching on the net using the very
famous search engine www.google.com Also, it is a good idea to look at
the FAQ.

I'm sure, once you became bit matured, you would certainly feel
guilty/shame to ask such questions & you would ready to ask excuse.

Randy Howard

for RANDY,
hello,
thanks 4 ur rubbish & stupid response.

You're welcome, I try to keep my responses on or above
the level of the questions. In this case, that was
extremely easy. There is a popular saying that goes
"Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer". Your
question wasn't stupid per se, but it was so incredibly
broad ("How would you use the functions....") as to
be impossible to answer with any hope of it being of
use to you.
U just waste my valuable time.
Right. I thought it was the other way around.
Don't be silly guy.Take care of urself.I just believe in laugh,but
obviously not responding in this stupid way.Altime joking with allthings
not good,Damned.Also dont waste ur time & groups member.

I'll pretend like I parsed the above correctly and just move on.
Lastly ur really damned.

Outstanding. Thanks so much.

Joona I Palaste

^^
^
^^
I'll pretend like I parsed the above correctly and just move on.
^^

I find it amazing how a C coder's competence is usually inversely
proportional to his/her usage of "U" and "ur" instead of "you" and
"your". Is it written somewhere in stone or is it just a rule of
thumb?
I personally find it laughable when people spend more time learing
d00dsp33k than C programming.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"Bad things only happen to scoundrels."

Mark McIntyre

On 23 Sep 2003 19:10:59 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
for RANDY,
hello,
thanks 4 ur rubbish & stupid response.U just waste my valuable
time.

But yet you think its ok to post a trivial question which wastes the
considerably more valuable time of the C regulars here, and which any
textbook would answer?

Top tip: READ A BOOK if you want to know how to answer your homework,
especially for such trivia.

By the way, Randy did in fact answer your question. What, you didn't
understand the answer? Perhaps thats because you need to learn basic C
first.

Mark McIntyre

I personally find it laughable when people spend more time learing
d00dsp33k than C programming.

I reckon there's some smart money to be made writing a new language in
d00dsp33k.... just think of all the idiots that would buy your
compiler, just so as to be up with the rest of the lusers.

"The lusers I know are so clueless, that if they were dipped in clue
musk and dropped in the middle of pack of horny clues, on clue prom
night during clue happy hour, they still couldn't get a clue."
--Michael Girdwood, in the monastery

Dan Pop

In said:
I find it amazing how a C coder's competence is usually inversely
proportional to his/her usage of "U" and "ur" instead of "you" and
"your". Is it written somewhere in stone or is it just a rule of
thumb?

The actual connection is between the usage of "U" and "ur" and the
person's stupidity level. Stupid people seldom become competent C
programmers :)

Intelligent people usually realise that such abbreviations buy them next
to nothing, but make their text look silly, so they don't use them.

It is also relatively easy to see the difference between a newbie question
posted by an intelligent person and one posted by a stupid one, even if
one ignores such "stylistical" issues.

Dan

Thomas Matthews

ROSY said:
1. How would you use the functions memcpy(), memset(), memmove()?

There is also memcmp().
1. memcpy is used for copying regions of memory from one place
to another. It is not guaranteed to work when the regions
overlap. A common usage is for copying structure variables.

2. memset is used for filling locations of memory with a fixed
value. An example is filling a char array with spaces.

3. memmove is used for "moving" regions of memory from one
place to another and handles overlapping regions.

4. memcmp is used to "lexicographically" compare one region
of memory to another. The common use is to check one
region equal to another.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Bruno Desthuilliers

Mark said:
I reckon there's some smart money to be made writing a new language in
d00dsp33k.... just think of all the idiots that would buy your
compiler, just so as to be up with the rest of the lusers.

<troll>
Done. It's named Perl
</troll>

Bruno