Diff. the JRE INSIDE the jdk folder and JRE OUTSIDE the JDK folder?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jochen Brenzlinger, Sep 2, 2011.

  1. When I install a new J2SE version then there are 3 java runtimes:

    1.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe

    2.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe

    3.) C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe


    Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and the third java.exe?


    Jochen
    Jochen Brenzlinger, Sep 2, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jochen Brenzlinger

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 09/02/2011 09:19 AM, Jochen Brenzlinger wrote:
    > When I install a new J2SE version then there are 3 java runtimes:
    >
    > 1.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe
    >
    > 2.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >
    > 3.) C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    >
    >
    > Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    > and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and the third java.exe?
    >
    >
    > Jochen
    >

    I suspect the installer and installation path.
    Jeff Higgins, Sep 2, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jochen Brenzlinger

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 09/02/2011 09:47 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 09/02/2011 09:19 AM, Jochen Brenzlinger wrote:
    >> When I install a new J2SE version then there are 3 java runtimes:
    >>
    >> 1.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe
    >>
    >> 2.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >>
    >> 3.) C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    >>
    >>
    >> Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that
    >> the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    >> and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and
    >> the third java.exe?
    >>
    >>
    >> Jochen
    >>

    > I suspect the installer and installation path.


    $ cmp --verbose --print-bytes C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    Jeff Higgins, Sep 2, 2011
    #3
  4. Jochen Brenzlinger

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 09/02/2011 09:57 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 09/02/2011 09:47 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> On 09/02/2011 09:19 AM, Jochen Brenzlinger wrote:
    >>> When I install a new J2SE version then there are 3 java runtimes:
    >>>
    >>> 1.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe
    >>>
    >>> 2.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >>>
    >>> 3.) C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that
    >>> the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    >>> and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and
    >>> the third java.exe?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Jochen
    >>>

    >> I suspect the installer and installation path.

    >
    > $ cmp --verbose --print-bytes C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    > C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

    Oops. <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm>
    Jeff Higgins, Sep 2, 2011
    #4
  5. Jochen Brenzlinger

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 09/02/2011 10:05 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 09/02/2011 09:57 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> On 09/02/2011 09:47 AM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >>> On 09/02/2011 09:19 AM, Jochen Brenzlinger wrote:
    >>>> When I install a new J2SE version then there are 3 java runtimes:
    >>>>
    >>>> 1.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\bin\java.exe
    >>>>
    >>>> 2.) C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >>>>
    >>>> 3.) C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that
    >>>> the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    >>>> and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and
    >>>> the third java.exe?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Jochen
    >>>>
    >>> I suspect the installer and installation path.

    >>
    >> $ cmp --verbose --print-bytes C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >> C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe

    > Oops. <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm>
    >

    Double oops. fc C:\Program files\Java\jdk\jre\bin\java.exe
    >> C:\Program files\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe
    Jeff Higgins, Sep 2, 2011
    #5
  6. Jochen Brenzlinger

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 02 Sep 2011 13:19:51 GMT, (Jochen Brenzlinger)
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Ok, the difference between the first and the second java.exe is that the first is WITH included debugging info compiled
    >and the second not. But what is the difference between the second and the third java.exe?


    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javaexe.html
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is,
    the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
    ~ John Kenneth Galbraith (born: 1908-10-15 died: 2006-04-29 at age: 97)
    Roedy Green, Sep 2, 2011
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cyril Vi?ville

    diff Process under diff users

    Cyril Vi?ville, Jun 29, 2004, in forum: Perl
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    502
    Joe Smith
    Jun 29, 2004
  2. Berrucho
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    622
    Infant Newbie
    Dec 5, 2003
  3. A Traveler

    Diff CSS styles for diff INPUT TYPE='s?

    A Traveler, Aug 31, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    4,908
    Steve Fulton
    Aug 31, 2004
  4. Ulf Meinhardt
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    6,400
    Ulf Meinhardt
    Aug 10, 2006
  5. Austin Ziegler

    [ANN] Diff::LCS 1.1.0, Diff::LCS 1.0.4

    Austin Ziegler, Aug 8, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    180
    Austin Ziegler
    Aug 9, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page