Difference b/w storage class and storage class specifier

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by sarathy, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. sarathy

    sarathy Guest

    Hi,
    What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
    class specifier"?
    It is said that there,

    Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
    Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
    typedef

    What does a specifier mean? I see the name "specifier" also
    being used in

    type specifier
    struct-specifier
    union-specifier

    etc...

    Regards,
    Sarathy

    sarathy, Jul 17, 2006

  2. "sarathy" <> writes:
    > Hi,
    > What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
    > class specifier"?
    > It is said that there,
    >
    > Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
    > Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
    > typedef

    A storage class specifier is one of a set of keywords that can appear
    in a C program source. A storage class is what those keywords
    specify.

    Keith Thompson, Jul 17, 2006

  3. sarathy

    sarathy Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > "sarathy" <> writes:
    > > Hi,
    > > What is the difference b/w a "storage class" and "storage
    > > class specifier"?
    > > It is said that there,
    > >
    > > Storage Class --> automatic static ( K&R )
    > > Storage Class Specifier --> auto extern register static
    > > typedef

    > A storage class specifier is one of a set of keywords that can appear
    > in a C program source. A storage class is what those keywords
    > specify.

    Thanks. I got it now.

    sarathy, Jul 17, 2006