  1. foo

    foo Guest

    I've been looking on the web to see if I could find a link that would
    describe the difference between the 14882:1998 and the 14882:2003 C++
    standard.
    I found the following link:
    http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/authors/koenig/c std/revisions.pdf

    But the above document is over 300 pages long, and it's not practical
    for actually trying to determine what difference has been made that
    would actually effect the langauge.

    Does anyone have a list changes that actually impacts the language?
    foo, Jul 3, 2004

  2. (foo) wrote:
    > I've been looking on the web to see if I could find a link that would
    > describe the difference between the 14882:1998 and the 14882:2003 C++
    > standard.
    > I found the following link:
    > http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/authors/koenig/c std/revisions.pdf

    This document is the actual list of changes.

    > But the above document is over 300 pages long, and it's not practical
    > for actually trying to determine what difference has been made that
    > would actually effect the langauge.

    Each of the changes in this 300 pages long document has an actual effect
    on the language: Andy didn't do all those changes just to provide a better
    reading experience. Some "just" change the text from being meaningless
    (e.g. due to a wrong section reference) to become meaningful but in most
    cases something became consistent, defined, etc. Note, however, that
    14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
    corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
    defined and consistent before. It should just define things which were
    left undefined, change things which were unimplementable or for which
    contradictionary requirements were imposed by different clauses in the
    standard.

    > Does anyone have a list changes that actually impacts the language?

    You might want to look at the issues marked "TC" (for technical
    corrigendum) in the core and library issue lists (follow the corersponding
    links from <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/>). However, I would
    guess that the corresponding excerpts of these two documents exceed the
    300 pages of the other document as it is supposed to include the changes
    plus the details of the problem fixed etc. On the other hand, you would get
    a rationale for at least most changes made.
    Dietmar Kuehl, Jul 5, 2004

  3. foo

    Guest

    <SNIP>

    > Note, however, that
    > 14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
    > corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
    > defined and consistent before.

    <SNIP>

    When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
    there any site describing what will be added or removed?

    (Offtopic: the Fortran 2003 standard will be ratified soon. Fortran
    2003 supports OOP (classes with inheritance) and interoperability with
    C.)
    , Jul 7, 2004
  4. wrote:
    > When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished?

    The working title is C++0x, implying that it should become available in
    the next five years. If we continue the current amount of progress, I
    would expect that the 0 needs to be replace by a different digit...

    > Is there any site describing what will be added or removed?

    This year we are planning to finish a technical report on library
    extensions (which will then become official roughly a year later),
    i.e. things we expect to see in the next revision of the standard.
    However, there will be neither a guarantee that this stuff indeed
    goes into next revision nor will the next revision be extended only
    by this stuff. In fact, we expect to include a lot more components.

    Other than this, you might want to have a look at the papers at
    <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/>: this is basis the committee
    works on. It includes proposals which are evaluated by the evolution
    group. However, not everything being proposed goes in and most stuff
    is modified in some form or the other.
    Dietmar Kuehl, Jul 7, 2004
  5. foo

    tom_usenet Guest

    On 7 Jul 2004 10:14:32 -0700, wrote:

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >> Note, however, that
    >> 14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
    >> corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
    >> defined and consistent before.

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
    >there any site describing what will be added or removed?
    >
    >(Offtopic: the Fortran 2003 standard will be ratified soon. Fortran
    >2003 supports OOP (classes with inheritance) and interoperability with
    >C.)

    The general site is http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/. The next
    standard is due this decade, probably between 2007 to 2009. It's
    "codenamed" C++0x.

    Tom
    tom_usenet, Jul 7, 2004
  6. wrote:

    > When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
    > there any site describing what will be added or removed?

    It will take some time. As far as I know there will be standard library
    additions mainly, and perhaps some C99 cra, I mean features, will make
    their way to the standard too.
    Ioannis Vranos, Jul 8, 2004