Difference between accessing WS using host name and IP address

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Hiten, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Hiten

    Hiten Guest

    Hi,

    I have a webservice which I have configured to allow Authenticated users
    only and deny all Annonymus users. Also, I have enabled Impersonation in
    config file and using Windows authentication.

    On IIS, I have created virtual folder where my WS sits and in directory
    security, I have set Annonymus and Integrated Windows authentication both
    enabled (checked).

    Now, the problem occures when I am trying to access the web service using
    localhost OR my box name in webservice URL vs using my box's IP address.

    When I use localhost or box name (http://localhost/test.asmx or
    http://workstation1/test.asmx) it works fine, however when I use ip address
    for host (http://10.123.2.2/test.asmx), it displays a message asking user
    name and password.This is causing issue when I am trying to access ws from MS
    office client as it fails to authenticate the requester.

    Can someone tell me if there is any setting that I need to do on IIS to get
    ridoff this message input asking user identity?

    If someone can explain how both approaches are different(using host name and
    host IP) that would be a great help.

    Thanks,

    Hiten, Mar 6, 2007