Difference between ActivePython and Python.org

S.Chang

Hi,
Anyone knows the difference(s) between the Python binaries from
ActiveState and Python.org?

Cheers
sc

BartlebyScrivener

I fretted about which to pick and have advised here that the difference
(if any) should be explained on the Python.org download page. I chose
ActiveState because I'm on Windows XP, which means that the Win32
Extensions get installed automatically, along with other goodies (the
PythonWin IDE, a pretty help file, etc).

If you look at the Python.org download page, the win32 extensions are a
separate download: "Windows users may also be interested in Mark
Hammond's win32all package, available from Sourceforge. win32all adds a
number of Windows-specific extensions to Python, including COM support
and the Pythonwin IDE."

I have never installed the Python.org binaries, maybe it has a whole
'nother set of goodies, but I'm sure someone here will jump in and
explain the difference, if any.

The ActiveState version lags behind for a month or two in versions,
probably so they can check to make sure everything works together, but
right now, both AS and PO are showing Python 2.4.2

rpd

Alan Franzoni

S.Chang on comp.lang.python said:
Hi,
Anyone knows the difference(s) between the Python binaries from
ActiveState and Python.org?

ActivePython is a 'batteries included' distro. I think it's great for
Windows - it includes a lot of manuals in CHM format and the Win32
extensions.

The interpreter is a compile of their own, but I don't think it to be that
different from the 'official' binary.

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-

Trent Mick

[S.Chang wrote]
Anyone knows the difference(s) between the Python binaries from
ActiveState and Python.org?

The responses to this thread so far gave most of the differences. In
summary:

- On Windows, ActivePython includes the PyWin32 extensions.
- ActivePython rolls the core Python docs and a bunch of extra doc bits
into one package, as detailed here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePython/2.4/about.html
- We have binary installers for more platforms:
win32-x86
linux-x86
macosx-powerpc
solaris-sparc
solaris-x86
hpux-parisc
aix-powerpc
(And we'll likely have a few more in the future, in particular
macosx-x86 and perhaps some newer 64-bit platforms.)
- As Neil pointed out, ActivePython does not currently have SSL bindings
(the _ssl module) that python.org's Python builds do. We are currently
going through the legal hurdles so that we can include those. I expect
that by or before the Python 2.5 timeframe we'll have _ssl in
ActivePython.
- ActivePython is free, but is not open source so, as Steve mentioned,
you need permission if you want to *re-distribute* ActivePython.
However, *using* ActivePython is still completely free and using tools
like py2exe and py2app to wrap up your scripts and distribute those is
fine.
- ActivePython provides a Windows "debug" package: a zip of the
debug-build libs that you can install into your Python install
(python.org installs to as of the next release[1]). This can be useful
for some people building debug builds of Python extensions.

One of the important things is how ActivePython is NOT different:
ActivePython should be fully binary compatible with python.org builds.
This is to ensure that 3rd-party extensions built for and tested on one
will just work on the other.

[BartlebyScrivener wrote]
The ActiveState version lags behind for a month or two in versions,

That is occassionaly true, yes, but not always. ActivePython 2.4.2 was,
I believe, a few weeks behind. 2.4.0 was released within a day or two.

[Neil Hodgson wrote]
It would be helpful if the ActivePython "What's Included" page listed
which parts of the python.org distribution are not included.

Good point. I'll update those docs now for the next release.

Cheers,
Trent (the ActivePython dude at ActiveState)

[1] Distributing the Python Windows debug build libs.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-November/057896.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-December/058446.html

Peter A. Schott

Amen to this one. Found out this after struggling with no SSL module when
trying to write some secure FTP and HTTPS code. Downloaded the version from
Python.org and it worked like a champ.

I believe you can get both and have no issues with the install, though. For my
part, I decided to standardize on the main distribution from Python.org and then
throw on the Win32 extensions as well. That handles the majority of my needs
and gets around any licensing issues with ActivePython.

-Peter