    ScooterMX Guest

    Short version, what are the differences?

    Can I write regular asp and have it work on .net ?

    ScooterMX, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Think of ASP as a Cessna single-engine airplane. Now, think of ASP.Net as a
    Boeing 747. They both fly. They both have wings. They both have a throttle.
    Other than that, they have very little in common. And it takes a lot more
    training to fly a 747.

    ASP and ASP.Net both handle HTTP Requests, and can send HTTP Responses. How
    they do it is entirely different, however. ASP is procedural and scripted.
    ASP.Net is object-oriented and compiled. ASP can do a little. ASP.Net can do
    whatever you can imagine.

    > Can I write regular asp and have it work on .net ?

    If you're both stupid and lucky, yes. ;-) Should you? NO.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 4, 2005

  3. ScooterMX

    DalePres Guest

    You can, in the IIS administration tools, configure your .Net web server to
    process ASP pages. When you installed the .Net Framework ASP handling
    normally is disabled. As Kevin said, you probably shouldn't do this unless
    there are overriding reasons to do so. If there were no instances where it
    was desirable, Microsoft probably wouldn't have built in the capability so
    don't take the statement as absolute. You can, but try everything else
    first.

    Often times, you may find that your ASP pages will work with little
    modification as well. Many of the same constructs work between both ASP and
    ASP.Net. You can change the extension on an ASP page to ASPX and try it.
    Usually there will be some debugging but it should be relatively intuitive.

    One thing that breaks the whole thing is if you have ASP forms that post to
    different pages rather than back to itself. But then, Microsoft has
    recommended against that since ASP 2.0.

    A much less intuitive item that will prevent your ASP pages from easily
    migrating to ASP.Net is if the ASP pages use multiple forms. ASP.Net is a
    jealous master and does not like to share forms.

    Good luck,

    DalePres
    MCAD, MCDBA, MCSE

    DalePres, Feb 4, 2005
  4. ScooterMX

    bruce barker Guest

    only if you code the pages in javascript. in this case its easy to make
    pages work in both enviroments. there are just a few rules to follow.

    1) declare public vars in <% %>
    2) declare public functions in <script runat=server>
    3) only function defs (no inlinecode) allowed in <script runat=server>

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 4, 2005
  5. If you're starting a new project, you should certainly choose ASP.NET over
    ASP.
    It is far superior in virtually every way.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Feb 4, 2005