Difference between DOCTYPE HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0

Tatyana

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody can help to distinguish the difference (for
ASP.NET pages) between

I've got JavaScript Menu which I have to plug-in to the master page.
Everything works fine except ALL Borders on the buttom and on the left side.

So I was trying to see what makes a difference and the DOCTYPE came up.

Now I wonder what is going to happen with my asp.net pages and what is not
going to work if I change DOCTYPE from HTML 4.01 to XHTML 1.0?

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >

or <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

Thank you,

Tatyana

Alan Silver

Tatyana said:
Now I wonder what is going to happen with my asp.net pages and what is
not going to work if I change DOCTYPE from HTML 4.01 to XHTML 1.0?

If you mean how the page is going to look in a browser, then you
probably won't see a whole lot of difference as XHTML 1.0 is (in simple
terms) just HTML 4.01 with some deprecated elements and attributes, and
a more strict approach to closing tags and case. Many browsers will
render the code just the same with either doctype.

A validator will give you a hard time as the syntax for the two are
different. You would need to clarify your question if you want a more
specific answer.

HTH