Difference between DOCTYPE HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tatyana, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. Tatyana

    Tatyana Guest

    Hello,

    I was wondering if anybody can help to distinguish the difference (for
    ASP.NET pages) between

    I've got JavaScript Menu which I have to plug-in to the master page.
    Everything works fine except ALL Borders on the buttom and on the left side.

    So I was trying to see what makes a difference and the DOCTYPE came up.

    Now I wonder what is going to happen with my asp.net pages and what is not
    going to work if I change DOCTYPE from HTML 4.01 to XHTML 1.0?

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >

    or <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

    Thank you,

    Tatyana

    Tatyana, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Tatyana

    Alan Silver Guest

    In article <>, Tatyana
    <> writes
    >Now I wonder what is going to happen with my asp.net pages and what is
    >not going to work if I change DOCTYPE from HTML 4.01 to XHTML 1.0?

    If you mean how the page is going to look in a browser, then you
    probably won't see a whole lot of difference as XHTML 1.0 is (in simple
    terms) just HTML 4.01 with some deprecated elements and attributes, and
    a more strict approach to closing tags and case. Many browsers will
    render the code just the same with either doctype.

    A validator will give you a hard time as the syntax for the two are
    different. You would need to clarify your question if you want a more
    specific answer.

    HTH

    --
    Alan Silver