Difference between enum class and enum struct

Brian

Shalom

Is there any difference between

enum class Fruit : uint8_t { love = 1, joy, peace, patience,
kindness };

and

enum struct Fruit : uint8_t { love = 1, joy, peace, patience,
kindness };

?

If there is, what is it? If there isn't any difference, my opinion is
that it is kind of an unfortunate point for flexibility in the
language.
I may modify my support for strongly-typed enums to only support
enum class if there's no difference between the two.

Brian Wood
http://webEbenezer.net
(651) 251-9384

Michael Tsang

Ian Collins

Brian said:
Shalom

Is there any difference between

enum class Fruit : uint8_t { love = 1, joy, peace, patience,
kindness };

and

enum struct Fruit : uint8_t { love = 1, joy, peace, patience,
kindness };

?

If there is, what is it? If there isn't any difference, my opinion is
that it is kind of an unfortunate point for flexibility in the
language.

There doesn't appear to be. According to n3035, "The enum-keys enum
class and enum struct are semantically equivalent.

Ian Collins

Michael said:

Please drop the PGP nonsense on Usenet!
No difference at all. The only differences between "class" and "struct" are

1. The default access level of "class" is "private", the default access
level of "struct" is "public".

2. "class" can declare a template parameter but "struct" cannot.

He was referring to C++0x scoped enums, not classes and structs.

Brian

Please drop the PGP nonsense on Usenet!

He was referring to C++0x scoped enums, not classes and structs.

I thought about mentioning that as well, but then thought
about how his post mentions struct is not acceptable in
some contexts. That was an interesting reminder.

Brian Wood