difference between hyperlink and response.writefile

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by PK, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. PK

    PK Guest

    Hi all...

    Newbie question?

    >From a security standpoint, what's the difference between a user

    clicking on a link to download a file and Response.WriteFile?

    I have security on a file called text.txt that only allows users in a
    certain group to access it. I'm impersonating a domain user in my app
    (provided during login). But when the logged in user clicks on the
    hyperlink for text.txt, they get an "Access denied" page. When they
    click on a button whose click event is the Response.WriteFile, they can
    download the file just fine.

    Thanks!

    PK
    PK, Jul 7, 2004