Difference between IIS 5.0 Isolation Mode and IIS 6.0 WP Mode

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by cedric, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. cedric

    cedric Guest

    Hi Everyone,
    I'm building a web service with .NET and IIS 6.0. The service is calling
    methods to a COM object which is not thread safe.
    When I use a stress tool (Microsoft ACT or WAS) to test the service with IIS
    configured in worker process mode, my service "hangs" and I can see thanks to
    WinDbg that message boxes are displayed. I'm pretty sure this is due to the
    fact that my COM object is not thread safe. Fine. Now if I put in place a
    critical section (with a Mutex object) in the service, then it works.
    However, if I remove the critical section and if I turn on the "IIS 5.0
    Isolation Mode" then it works also.
    I have to say that my machine is a 8 processors server, so with IIS 5.0 mode
    turned on I get 8 aspnet_wp processes, and with IIS back on Worker process
    mode I configured the pool with 8 w3wp processes.

    My question is: "why is it working with IIS 6.0 configured in "IIS 5.0
    Isolation Mode" ???"

    Many thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Cedric